Student discount with Win. 7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PerfectChaos, May 25, 2011.

1. PerfectChaos macrumors newbie

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get Windows 7 full version with a student discount for cheap or cheaper than full price. I know they the upgrade version and I do have XP but since I have a MBP 2011 I can't install XP. Basically I want it for bootcamp in order to play games. Thanks.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Your best bet is to check with your school to see if they have a deal with Microsoft. When I was at the University of Texas a few years back, they offered "upgrade" versions of Windows for something like 29 bucks! :eek: I put "upgrade" in quotes because I was still able to successfully install it on my MacBook Pro at the time. (Disclaimer: the version I installed was Vista, so I can't vouch that it will work with Windows 7, but if the price is low enough it might be worth trying).

For non-student discount options, OEM versions of Windows 7 are available at newegg for around $100 I think.

3. craigsharp macrumors regular

Most school's IT departments have a relationship with microsoft that allow you to download many many many microsoft applications for free!!! I got win7 pro for free, they had most of the server editions, many of the Office applications.... Just a thought

4. budafied macrumors member

5. 1458279 Suspended

There are ways that are posted on the internet to install without having the prior OS installed. IIRC, something to do with MS not forcing you to install Vista, then Win7 each time you install. I think you bypass the online verify and change something in the reg.

6. PerfectChaos thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies. I'll definitely look into this more.

7. redsoxunixgeek macrumors regular

redsoxunixgeek

If you have a .edu e-mail account, go to Microsoft Dreamspark... because it is free. (http://www.dreamspark.com)

I don't know if it includes Win 7, but it did at one point.