Student Discount..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mvksagar45, Feb 25, 2011.

1. mvksagar45 macrumors member

hello All,
    I am planning to get a MBP...but..I recently finished my graduation ( Dec 2010)..and i guess i cant get any discount...but my room mate i still going to the same collage..can he buy a MBP and give it to me....DO i need him for future services ( may be we will disperse after he is done with graduation )...Please hep...

2. simsaladimbamba

The warranty and Apple Care go with the machine, therefore the original buyer is not needed. That means even if your MBP gets stolen, the MBP is under warranty and if Apple doesn't have the serial number of the stolen MBP listed as stolen, the MBP will be serviced.
    And Apple does not even verify if you are a student, but there are lots of threads about this. Maybe MRoogle can help finding them.

Btw, a collage is not the same as a college.

3. mvksagar45 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info...and just one more question...will the students get 3 years of warranty for free ?

4. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Can't you just buy apple care out of a store and input the code on the apple site? You can have him go to best buy and get it with the student discount.

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Isn't Apple Care for students dirt cheap? Maybe get him to buy that?

6. mat1110 macrumors newbie

Yeh its cheap as. Brought the 13" basic macbook pro from apple store today paid £51 for 3 year applecare and got 15% off the macbook so £850 for the macbook. Winner i say to say the total of it should of been £1200

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

UK has special rules. Next time buy online and you get 3 years warranty as standard! See- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

8. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

What in the heck is up with all these UK people posting about free/cheap Apple Care. It's so bizarre and I don't even understand why they get this? Regulatory crap or what? Makes me kind of upset that Apple doesn't offer the same thing over here. At least 2 years should be standard!

9. KumaYama macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

It's ok, some of us are stupid and get the free care but then buy apple care as well. (me)

10. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you seen the initial price we have to pay over in the UK?

11. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Have you seen the dollar vs the pound?

Maybe it's not as high as it used to be, I don't keep up with it regularly, but the fact of the matter is that you have more purchasing power with your pound than we do with our dollar. I wouldn't expect to get a top of the line MBP for $1000 if it was Made by Apple in Mexico.

Also a lot of your price has to do with your high VAT that helps pay for all the wonderful health care and other government run programs that you like to brag about to us Yanks.

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It is the result of a special agreement between Apple and many UK universities.

If you follow the link in my previous post it is explained there.

Various Acts of Parliament gives people much better rights than just the 1 year Apple standard warranty (Apple does not have to give any warranty legally!)

13. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i bought my 17" mbp with EDU program, saved 200$, and the best part is i'm not in college/university, nor did they ask for proof.

if you buy online they take your word for it.

14. David-fr macrumors 6502

You cheater :p

I went to the Apple store to get it and they did not asked me for an ID or anything like that.

But if you are 40ish with 2 kids they might have to ask you for some form of ID.

15. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I keep hearing about this £50 AppleCare. At that price I'd have it. When I bought my MacBook Pro at the Apple store under education discount (FE) I was quoted £120 - less than normal, but still enough to make me think twice. Can anyone shed some light on this?

16. TomCondon macrumors regular

I think you only get a 5% discount for a "student over 18"

as far as I can see, you need to log in on your college VPN or provide a password for the 15% discount.

17. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Further education is different to higher education. I don't think the FE discount is as good as HE (and in fact most 'FE' students do not get the FE discount as only a limited number of FE colleges have agreements with Apple, they get the 'any old student' discount instead). Also, Apple staff sometime get things wrong as the UK system is quite complex!

See- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

18. wesrk, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

wesrk macrumors 6502a

Fixed that for you. A mbp made in Mexico would be the finest piece of computer ever :D

Ok, back to threat, I'm getting the high end 15" and while cruising the specs I saw AppleCare for £60, around $95. I have to get it. And yes, the edu discount is 15%, regular priced 15" is £1850 and £1632 with the edu discount including apple care. Which if you convert to dollars seems to be the same price (including apple care too), except UK prices include the VAT.

Can you use educational discount at a brick store in the US if you're a student from overseas? I guess not but I don't know for sure.

edit: According to the thread linked above, the purchase comes with 3 year support (1 year phone), so I won't be getting AppleCare online. Total purchase will be £1572.

19. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas