Student discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kroxx, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Kroxx macrumors regular

Thinking of getting a MBP 15", wondering if I just take a student along with me and pretend it's for them (brother/sister/girlfriend/) but I'm buying them it on my card, will I be ok to get the discount???

2. mizzouxc macrumors member

Fraud

In the United States, common law recognizes nine elements constituting fraud:
    a representation of an existing fact;
    its materiality;
    its falsity;
    the speaker's knowledge of its falsity;
    the speaker's intent that it shall be acted upon by the plaintiff;
    the plaintiff's ignorance of its falsity;
    the plaintiff's reliance on the truth of the representation;
    the plaintiff's right to rely upon it; and
    consequent damages suffered by the plaintiff.

3. Kroxx thread starter macrumors regular

Well it's a good job I don't live in the US.... Anyway I've changed my mind, but now I've been talking about MBP, my brother wants me to buy him one on my credit card and he IS a student, would this be ok to take him along with me and get the discount???

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After your first statement, I don't really buy what you're saying now. It sounds like you're just trying to circumvent the terms and conditions of Apple's education discount for your own benefit. You can buy a gift card with your credit card, and give it to your brother. He can use that gift card to buy with the education discount, providing he is a student.

5. Kroxx thread starter macrumors regular

My god, what have I stumbled across here? The Apple police??? If they can give discount to students and TEACHERS who are probably all richer than me and can probably buy a MacBook outright, then they should offer some kind of loyalty discount.... I have bought every iPad & iPhone there has ever been, and numerous iPods..... I am currently a PC user and have always wanted a MacBook, I'm hardly robbing a bank by trying to get a little bit of discount from a multi-billion dollar company..... All I was after was a bit of advice... Anyway you better go now, I've heard that someone has took 2 straws from you local Mcdonalds and they only bought 1 drink :/ sheeeeesh

6. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

Don't get uptight! These guys are just trying to help you avoid committing fraud which could result in serious sanctions! Take their advice and save a little more to make the purchase. You could even sell one of the many iPhones, iPads or iPods that you've accumulated over the past few years to help with the purchase ;)

7. jpw91 macrumors newbie

Don't listen to the others in this thread, they are being completely absurd.

When I bought my first Macbook Pro back in summer 2009, my mother put it on her credit card but we still got the education discount. I would imagine if it's a family member you shouldn't have a problem.

Considering the profit margins Apple makes on their products, I think it's pretty hilarious that people are calling you out for trying to take advantage of a $100 student discount. Good luck.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

And yet, they don't. So to try to get a discount that you don't qualify for is fraud. Whether or not that's OK with you says a lot about your character.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Setting aside the moral issues, the reality here is nothing is going to happen. Does anybody really see Apple calling the police to report someone tried to use a student discount they were not entitled to? It is not going to happen.

10. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Just buy it online.. Problem solved!

11. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

I don't really understand how this is fraud, though the US is a lot more uptight and litigious I guess….

A student purchases a laptop using their discount. Then they give it to a friend or relative. How is this in any way illegal?

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

At the Apple Store I worked at, there was no problem doing this.

Students were eligible for one notebook, iMac, and mini discount per year, tracked by their student ID#.

If they wanted to use one of those discounts on friends or family, it wasn't a problem. And if the student wanted to buy something for themselves and have a friend or family member pay, that wasn't a problem either.

No clue if that was just the policy of the particular store I worked at, or if other stores do that also.

13. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

ordered it online and put education pricing and they gave me the better price. I am a student but they don't ask for any information.

14. macmanmatty macrumors regular

yes it would technically be fraud by defination of fraud but How would apple prove that the laptop was never intended for the student and more over why would they waste money in legal fees doing so? Also if the student uses the computer at all or anything that was produced by it then it is no longer fraud.

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Apple trusts that you will be honest. Unlike places like educationalsoftware.com, which requires you provide a copy of your student or faculty ID prior to being allowed to make a purchase, Apple simply asks that you identify your school/college and lets you purchase with the discount.

Apple is trying to change the world's trust factor. Just look at how you can purchase things in an Apple store right on your app, and walk out with your merchandise without ever talking to a store employee.

16. PicardsDome macrumors newbie

That's what I do all the time. I never buy my Macs through the regular Apple Store, I always go through the education store on the site and save myself a couple hundred bucks! And yes, I'm a student.......of life.

----------

Seems like an awful lot of bull to go through just to save $200 you can do by ordering it through the online store's education site.

17. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Parents are allowed the edu discount, when purchasing computers for their children:

"Those eligible to purchase from the Apple Store for Education Individuals include faculty, staff, students and parents as follows:
    …..Higher Education Parents - Parents purchasing on behalf of their child, who is a student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States, are eligible to purchase
    ".

Apple's profit margins are irrelevant here. The OP asks for advice, and most of the responding posters are merely saying "stick to the rules".