Student Discount

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cloroxbleach4, Dec 30, 2007.

1. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I was wondering if the Apple Store gave their student discount in store? My brother's friend the other day was telling me a story when he walked in and said, "I'm not buying this without a student discount and free apple care." And apparently he got it. I'm not sure if any one of you have heard something like that happening or perhaps the story was exaggerated.

2. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

If you present a Student ID card in the store, they should apply the discount.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

However, if you don't mention it, they won't mention it. The first and last time I patronized the Apple Store, I ended up paying full price because I didn't know about the discount. Never again.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

I have never heard of free Applecare, it's $249 plus tax. The student discount you can get if you're a student. If not a student, you could bring a student along and you will need student ID in the store. This has been my experience.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

They won't give you free AppleCare. Period.

However, they will give you the discount. You have to be a college student, though, to get any of the discounts. Anything else is not allowed.

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Im sure he got his discount and free AppleCare.....i.e. the one year standard warranty and 90 day telephone support. It's still AppleCare and its free with all new products, its only the extension that costs more.

I dont think any Apple rep in their right mind would give you FREE AppleCare....discounted maybe....free not soo much

By the way you're brother's friend's tone sounds like he has a self entitlement complex.

Oh really....:rolleyes:

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Maybe you don't look like a college student? They aren't going to ask every single person if they apply for an educational discount.

8. bubble27 macrumors regular

Hey im a student and i know that you DO need a student ID.
    The discount that you get on the product is 6% only. Sounds like a very little but if your planning to get full spec with full ram and what not, you also get a discount on that. The protection plan is WAY more cheaper though. Thats the best discount.

When i log in from my uni connection i can check prices. I know that the MBP with full ram & HD (7,200) + protection plan goes for around 2100£. Thats without software only what i mention. If you do that without the discount its around 2,600£!! thats very good for us students!

Note: only one MBP is to be bought per academic year! Also, discounts only apply to computing, no iphone nor ipods.

9. ZenErik macrumors 6502

This thread is amusing. Keep it going! I got my student discount cuz I look 16...They just asked me if I had my ID with me. Though I'm 20. Either way, still a student.

10. porg1969 macrumors newbie

staff discount

Not only do students get discounts, depending on if your school is registered by Apple, staff also get the discount. I work in a hospital and because it's a teaching hospital i receive the discount as well, and i am not a student.

11. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Teachers in general get the discount too.

12. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I purchased my 17" CTO in my sig for £1962, as I teach at a Military School from an apple retailer. Apple care is approx. same, I might get it if I keep the machine other wise no.

13. thepandamancan macrumors member

thepandamancan

I've never had an apple employee ask me for an ID. I guess I look like a college student, they just ask for the college.

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

forget going into the apple store...just use the apple education website. They dont ask you for ID.

i'm a student.

15. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

In the US, it's a 10% discount. The lowest MBP is 1999. After the discount it's 1799.

16. khunxhor macrumors member

Well I have heard of free Apple Care, but it was not at the Apple Store. Before I bought my macbook from UCLA's computer store, they had a free Apple Care Deal with any apple computer. They took that off and put new promotions. The old 2.0Ghz mb for 899 and the new 2.0 for 999 and the 2.2 for 1049. (Cheaper than Apple's student discount.....)

Okay so what I am basically trying to say is go to your university's or college's computer store and check for promotions periodically. I waited over 7months for my macbook but it was worth it...as a student...every penny counts:D

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Apple stores will not give you free Applecare, even if you "bully" them. The sales reps aren't paid on commission, so they have no incentive to "make a deal." Your brother's friend (can anyone say "hearsay?") is exaggerating.

If, however, he bought it through his campus store, it's perfectly possible. Many colleges offer free Applecare and other goodies (like software and cases) for free.

18. HALTAH macrumors newbie

Bought mine 3 weeks ago. Just stated on the website what school I go to, no ID needed. I can only get one student discount per computer per year