Student Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mojopixel, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hello,

I am currently doing a distance learning course and was wondering how student discounts work at the apple online store. The school that I am at is in New York and I am in London. The school has apple discounts from the US apple online store and I want to get my discount from the UK apple online store. Can I get a discount if I am in a different country from my school? and, if so, how do I go about getting my discount? :confused:

any light on this matter would be appreciated.

cheers,

mp

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

If I had to guess, I'd say you need to buy from the store your school is associated with - the US store.

I'm not sure if you can buy from the US store with a US billing address and ship the Europe?

Your best bet might be to call the UK store and explain your situation.

Otherwise, you might try doing everything in the US with a US billing and shipping address (your parents, perhaps?) and then have them ship it over to you?

3. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

thanks

Yeah, I don't have any family in the US. I've just checked out the education part of the apple site and found a phone number to call so I'll just give them a bell tomorrow. thanks anyway. Out of interest, how do people usually get their student discounts?

cheers,

mp

4. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

You'd be better off buying from the US store if you can due to the price difference.

5. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

You can either log into the Apple Store for Education (there's a link to it from the main Apple Store US page) and click on your school, or you can go into an Apple Store and show your student ID.

6. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Yeah but then I've gotta pay for shipping and various taxes. If I buy from the US, can I still go to the UK apple store if there are issues?

7. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

in store, give them your student card, and you will get 8% off.

of your at university in the UK, you can get 14% off from the apple store online, but only on you UK uni website.

8. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Of course, a Mac is a Mac.

(As far as hardware goes - if you mean issues with the actual purchase, I'm not so sure.)

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk/ would be the link ;)

10. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

I tried that through the UK site, I put my schools name and location in and it directed me to the "discounted" store page, which is great. However, do I need to provide any ID or letters BEFORE they will ship my computer to me?

That's the thing, I'm doing a distance learning course and so I don't have a formal I.D card

11. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

If it's like the US store - no.

12. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

It's the UK store. Aren't all Apple online stores the same?

13. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

They've got a similar setup, but I don't know how the actual check-out process works, since I've never used the Uk store.

14. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

I ordered mine from the HE store yesterday. I study with the Open University, have an NUS card too. My nearest Apple store is 400 miles away.

I clicked on the chat icon in the online store and got my HE discount that way. She put everything in a basket and sent the link to me in the chat window, I just clicked on it and checked out using my apple ID account, the same one as you use to buy from iTunes. Now the wait for it to arrive :D

15. 7084 macrumors member

Thats exactly what I did Deniser, saved me the long walk to the university computers! Was really simple, although I did wonder how much the chatroom staff knew about what they were selling.

The first guy I spoke to tried to convince me to upgrade the RAM from the apple store as it was "cheaper", I then politely pointed out that crucial were selling the same memory for £55 as opposed to Apples £550. He clearly didn't know how to respond to that and then tried to claim that installing RAM into an iMac would void my warranty. I corrected him on this also, stating that as long as you installed the RAM without damage, your warranty was still intact. He became quite rude after that and I left the chat.

Started another one with a different salesperson, who was brilliant, polite and helpful.

Still hasn't arrived though!

(Sorry I've derailed the thread a little!)

16. caeneal macrumors member

Y'know, in a case like this, I'd probably call Apple. Just a thought...

17. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

What chat icon? where is it on the store page and what does it look like?

18. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

When you click on the MacBook or MacBook Pro, the chat icon shows up on the left hand corner.

Attached Files:

19. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

So wait... you don't have to provide any proof at all that you are a student? How can they possible do that..???:eek:

20. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Great, right? :cool:

21. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

Wait... even though I don't have my card or any info yet, I can still get my MacBook at the student discount price...:D

I really do love Apple.

22. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but this became a problem with OS X 10.4 (Tiger). So many so-called "students" bought the single pack for $69 and then sold it on eBay for a profit.

If you look now, the cheapest you can get OS X 10.5 (Leopard) from the Apple Store with the discount is $116 instead of $129. Luckily, my university bookstore sold me a copy for about $60. They still make it cheap for students, but you have to actually go to the university and ask them to order it for you.

23. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hello,

So I phoned Apple this morning and spoke to some guy called George. I asked if I could get a student discount if I was at a distant learning institution that wasin another country and he said "No, you have to be in the same country as the school/college you are attending", he also said that I can't buy from the US store because I don't have an address in the US. So I guess that puts a bullet in that one! :(

Do you guys think I should phone them up again and speak to somebody else just to see what he or she says?

cheers,

mp

p.s. George did offer me a £60 discount though just for calling! :apple:

24. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Yes I would, and I would try the chat feature a couple of times too. In chat they will provide you with a quote with a link to it. All you do is click on the link in the chat window, a new window appears with a basket and all you need to do is check out. If you already have an apple id you use for itunes you can use that at check out to make it quicker. Just go to the apple site of the country you are in, click chat, they ask you what you are studying. State it is a degree at Higher education, they will then ask where you study, you just tell them the name of your university. I study distance learning for my degree with the Open University so I can not access a campus computer because they dont have one near me !!!

25. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

I've looked for this chat option and can only conclude that it is only available at certain times. The question is, which times?