Student Discount

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gimmeiphone, Apr 26, 2008.

1. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

so im starting a summer course at uni in june then starting college in september, would i qualify for the HE student discount? as you get more off than you would on the regular education discount.
    im hoping the updated macbooks will be out by the time im at uni in june, but do you think the updates will cost substantially more when they arrive?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Difficult to say, but I bought in August '07, and the upgrades came out in February '08, so go figure. I'm lucky enough to have used my Higher Education discount, and so far, I've saved about $100-$200 on MBs', but even more on a new desktop with Cinema Display. :cool:

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I seriously doubt that Apple will raise the price of the MacBook for the next update.

4. illidian macrumors 6502

As a general rule, Apple doesn't increase their prices on the same model. Components become more available and cheaper, allowing Apple to upgrade their models with the same build cost.

As soon as you're accepted into a college or university on Apple's list, you can take advantage of the Apple Education Store.

The chances that you'll get an updated Macbook from what we have now before you start are, to be honest, slim.

5. Jman14 macrumors 6502

Can you get a discount on refubished macbooks

1. how much can you off on a regular education discount

2. how much off can you a higher education discount

6. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

im fine waiting til july or august time, maybe even until september, where can i find the list of accepted colleges and unis?

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Your school doesn't have to be in any particular list.

From http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html:
    ELIGIBILITY
    Those eligible to purchase from the Apple Store for Education Individuals include faculty, staff, students and parents as follows:

K12 - Any employee of a public or private K-12 institution in the United States is eligible. In addition, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible.

Higher Education - Faculty and staff of Higher Education institutions; and students attending, or accepted into a Higher Education institution are eligible to purchase. Purchases from the Apple Store for Education Individuals are not for institutional purchase or resale.

Higher Education Parents - Parents purchasing on behalf of their child, who is a student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States, are eligible to purchase.​

You can see if your school has its own page in the Apple Store for Education by going to http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html.

8. Stokes macrumors regular

At the Apple Store in Portland, Oregon, I just told the clerk that I was a homeschooler and that I wanted the student discount. No problems and I got the $100 off my MacBook.

9. Jman14 macrumors 6502

Is there anyway to get 100 off reburbs I can get the student discount

10. Stokes macrumors regular

It's my impression that you can get a refurb discount, or a student discount, but not both at the same time.

11. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

Just dont buy it too soon. Remember, they will probably have the free ipod nano promo starting mid summer so even if new mac books come out in like june, you may want to wait till like august

12. JoshLV macrumors regular

At the Apple store that I went to, they required student info. I supplied them with a high school ID, but they didn't accept. So I showed them proof that I will be going to Uni this Fall and they accepted it. Some places are a little more strict than others.

13. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

how can they verify that someone has used their student discount more than once? i'm thinking about buying another laptop, but i already used it once on a mb.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

As far as I know, student discounts are available for as many purchases as you like while you are eligible.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I belive these limits apply:

• Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    • Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    • Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    • Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
    • Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
    • Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year
    • iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year

16. JoshLV macrumors regular

17. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

thing is ill be buying it online, so how do they check that way? a phone call? oh and im in the UK if that makes any difference. id rather buy it online for the 3 year thing

18. illidian macrumors 6502

There has been speculation before on these forums about Apple checking their sales. What seemed to be the case was that they regularly checked sales including software, while purely hardware sales are rarely checked.

The confirmation, IIRC, was a fax or snail-mail transcript (or similar evidence).

19. Jman14 macrumors 6502

Ya I went online under a school in my area and procced like I was doing a check out and i got to were you put in your credit card number and stuff online for thetotal amount and they never asked one ? just say you go to some school and receive 100 dollars off

20. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

I have purchased a ton of stuff online using the education discount and have not once been asked for proof of enrollment.

21. asme macrumors regular

Homeschool discount.

They don't check.

I used it because I am a homeschooler, but price reduction is just a button hidden away by a few links.

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Just because they didn't check you, doesn't mean they don't check.

Apple audits educational discounts on a random basis.

23. Stokes macrumors regular

My wife and I are homeschoolers as well.

I called ahead of time to see if they needed any kinds of proof. I told the people on the phone that the very nature of homeschooling precludes me from having any kind of document from the local school district with their blessing. We have an adversarial relationship at best.

They saw the logic in that and didn't give me any grief. In all honesty, I'm sure that Apple would rather have another MacBook sold for $100 less, than no MacBook sale at all.

24. MacAodh macrumors regular

I've brought three laptops now off the education section in Ireland and they've never checked any of them, nor have i heard of anyone being checked. But is it just me or is the discount getting worse and worse??? seams like it's fairly crap now then it used to be

25. JoshLV macrumors regular

Wow. I thought everyone got checked. I wouldn't be surprised if the Apple store near me started asking people for their birth certificate, and blood samples.