student discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ipo, Aug 27, 2008.

1. ipo macrumors member

I'm not sure if i'm getting this right , but it's aloud to buy qualifying products ON BEHALF of someone who is eligible for the student discount , right ?

I can't find an Apple store representative to ask , so i' m asking you guys:

Is it ok to pay via bank order and let someone else go to the Apple store on my behalf and take the purchase? Would it make things worse if it's some other state's Apple store ? What you need as a proof of eligibility - i mean would a copy of the student card be adequate ?

The thing is - i can't go to the Apple store, but a friend of mine can.
    I can't go with the resellers.
    And i could give her the money , or i could transfer it , so it would proof that it's on my behalf ??
    What do you think , what would you do ?
    i appreciate your help. :confused:

2. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I have gone into the Apple Store twice this past year with friends who have used my ed. discount. The store takes my Driver Liscense number and my friends use their credit card to pay. I've never even been questioned about it.

3. z062007 macrumors member

z062007

your post is a little confusing. when i bought my macbook pro in september 2007 i had to physically show them my school id with my drivers license. my school ID and drivers license had to match for w/e reason.

if you can't to into the Apple store (and i don't know why you can't) i would do what ntombi said and just buy it online.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing?mco=MTIxODk0Nw

i don't know if you live in the US but the above link for the education discount.

4. ipo thread starter macrumors member

here's the deal

Here's the deal:
    I have a friend who will travel to Europe (where i am , right now) and she's my only hope to get a new mac before Christmas. So the Apple online Store goes completely pointless. The thing is - i can not shop there , me - personally , but i can still place an order , make some reservations and pay in advance - but i have no idea if that would help at all ?
    I wonder if a phone call @ Boylston's street Apple store would make my day - the thing is , i do not have the number :( i could only use the online reservation web-form... :confused:
    thanks for your help, guys !

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Perhaps if you were to start again - I do not understand why you are making it so complicated.

You want to buy a Mac using someone else's Student discount but it is actually for yourself ??

And you want us to explain to you how to do it ?

Are you serious ??

6. ipo thread starter macrumors member

pleeease help

:confused:

:confused:
    It's actually very simple, you didn't get it !

1. I am eligible for the discount.
    2. I can't go to the apple store , myself.
    3. Apple online store is of no interest since:
    a) i need the stock RIGHT now -( after 09.09 untill 15th September )- or else i'd have to wait till Christmas - which is not an option , since i need the damned machine asap.
    b) IF YOU DO NOT KNOW - when you purchase smth online - you have to pay additional state tax = > 100$ in my case. AND it takes TIME. :(
    4. I can not give my driving license nor the original student card to my friend(i'm pretty far away).- i could only email em scanned .
    5. When you purchase online - you're left to do all the discount paperwork yourself- which is awful and you could easily mistake.
    SO the very question is : WHAT do i need to do , so when my friend gets to the Apple store there won't be any problem and she wouldn't have to explain anything to anyone and would be able to get my stuff using MY discount ?
    Thanks again
    if i miss smth , just let me know ... so far i know , that the apple products could be bought@ any apple store in any state on my behalf , BUT what do they need as a proof??Do i have to pay through my bank account or my friend could pay cache ?
    thanks again

7. ipo thread starter macrumors member

ok but

But you were there in person.
    I need a way for a friend of mine to do the same thing , but unfortunately i can't be there .

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Ok - so you want to buy a Mac in the US using your student ID but you are in Europe. Your friend is in the US but will be travelling to Europe soon and can bring the Mac with her.

I cannot really see why you cannot buy it online and get it delivered to your home address in the US. You will have to pay sales tax but you will have to pay sales tax if you buy in-store anyway.

Trying to buy from a physical store when you are on a different continent is never going to be easy. In the UK, parents can purchase on behalf of their student sons and daughters - I presume that is the same in the US. Is this an option ?

We are trying to help but it seems a strange situation that you are in - if you only have a small window to buy this machine in (you say that you won't be able to buy it till Christmas). Are you a student in the US ? but doing something related to your studies in Europe at the moment ?

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

What you want to do is outside the usual routine for the stores so there's really no way to guarantee she wont have to explain the situation at length and be convincing in her story. Send her the scanned student ID and hope for the best! What happens when she goes to the store is going to depend on which salesperson helps her. Going by the stories I've read on these forums, the reaction could range anywhere from not even asking to see the ID to refusing to give her the discount since you're not there in person.

Apple does let somebody else provide the credit card or payment so that should be ok, and she will have to pay what ever the sales tax is where she buys the computer.

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

can your friend buy it for you with a stdent discont?

11. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Every time I've purchased something in an Apple store, I've been asked for my school ID and driver's license. I don't think the store will take a scanned image of your ID and driver's license and give your friend the discount. I'm confused about the tax issue since if you buy in the store, you're going to pay the tax (unless you buy in a state that has no sales tax. On that note, I once drive from Baltimore to the Apple store in Delaware since they don't have sales tax. I asked if there was a problem, and they said no since I was within 100 miles of my school.

If you're in Europe, is your school ID from a US institution or from Europe. I'm pretty sure a Europe student ID won't work in the US. Again, I could be wrong.

I've ordered on line before and there is no "extra" discount paperwork.

12. ipo thread starter macrumors member

well..

unfortunately .. no- i wouldn't ask if it was a way out.

That's why i hope to hear something "solid" enough here , so i could be sure she won't eventually feel like a fool.
    And i'm talking about the extra $ one has to spend buying online and having a reseller nearby etc. etc.

Well, ... ^#$(*&#$^ let's hope distance is not something important , --- I'm talking about Florida - Massachusetts here!!

You ain't wrong indeed,but that's not the case.

The extra paperwork - as far as i know involves peeling off some labels -filling out some forms with numbers , ids and such... :eek: :confused:

13. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Why are you paying extra money to buy it online? There's still tax and what not and shipping is free as well..

Also there are no discount papers you have to fill out if you buy it online, what are you talking about?

And please work on your English while overseas..

The Apple store has the MB/MBP in stock ready to ship in 24 hrs, what's the issue?

Clearly you've never bought anything with your student discount from the Apple store before..

14. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Ok - you now want to use the Back to School promotion too.....

I assume that your friend will bring the Mac and the Touch with her when she visits you in Europe. If that is the case then all the "paperwork" can be done in Europe and mailed back to the States to redeem.

I still don't understand why it is $100's more sales tax if you buy on-line rather than the (local) store - unless it is in a different state or something.....

15. ipo thread starter macrumors member

ok

ok, dude i suppose you're in Scotland , right ?
    So go to the us online apple store and fill out all the stuff needed to place an order - ok ! , now at the page where you're asked to pay- look at the extra amount .
    In the us - there are state taxes - that ,.. (oh dear) do not exist when you purchase stuff in person @ a real store , but are there if you buy online -sad but true, AND if i place an order WHEN the new MacBook Pros are out , do you guys think it would still be "shipped within 24hr" ??
    please !
    i'll make a phone call tomorrow , see what the :apple: help desk has to say about it.

16. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Well according to some timelines, the new MBPs aren't coming out til October anyways. PLUS you never said anything about buying the REFRESHED MBPs. You can't have BOTH the BTS and the new MBP..:rolleyes:

17. dilailamams macrumors member

what's the percentage of the price would you get for student discount ??

18. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Which State is this that levies Sales Tax on on-line orders but not in physical stores ??

Refreshed MBP not going to happen before September 15th..........

19. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

$100 off MB, $200 off MBP.

20. ipo thread starter macrumors member

why not !? last year it was ok to buy the refreshed iMac - ( which was totally changed ) and have the Back to school iPod .You couldn't have the "new" iPods with the BTS that's all , they'll refresh the iPods this year ,.. so i can't see the problem.
    i do pray for it to happen ! Just buy something online and you'll find out.
    :(

21. logana macrumors 65816

logana

What we are saying is that the new/refreshed MacBook Pro is very, very unlikely to be available before the BTS promotion finishes on Sept 15th.

If it is available then fine.........

So which State is the physical store in (this State with no sales tax ??)

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Some states have tax-free holidays.

23. ipo thread starter macrumors member

heh :)

heh, some people have tax free holy years :) :)

i'm not saying there are no taxes - i'm saying that if you go to the :apple: store you'll buy. let's say an ipod for $200 , for the same ipod if you have chosen the online store you'd pay let's see:
    $200+$13.93 (estimated tax for Florida)= Estimated Total:

$212.93
    some "info" @ :apple: : http://www.apple.com/r/store/help/estimatedtax.html

NOW let's see what happens when you wish to buy a MBP and you live in Florida :
    Cart Subtotal:
    $1,999.00
    Free Shipping:
    $0.00
    Est. Tax*:
    $139.93
    Est. Total:
    $2,138.93

and in Boston- Massachusetts
    Estimated Tax*: $99.95

Estimated Total: $2,098.95
    So-that should say - if i buy @online store i'd get it for 5 % more (at best) ! :(

24. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Really? $40 FREAKING DOLLARS...:rolleyes: Maybe you shouldn't be buying expensive things to begin with, it's a freaking 2% difference.