Student Discounts

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yamnave, Jun 11, 2012.

1. yamnave macrumors newbie

I am excited to hear about the new, updated MBA later today/this week, but I have some questions about student pricing. I will be a sophomore next year in college and I'm on a budget so i'm looking for any possible way to save money. Has anyone bought their macbook air with a student discount and could tell me how much they saved? Do the Apple stores (not online store) give a better discount than the online store near the end of summer when students are typically back-to-school shopping? I have a PC desktop and and another laptop so waiting to buy the air isn't a big deal if it means I can save some money later this summer. Thanks in advanced. It should be noted that the Macbook air I plan on buying will be my first Mac computer, and i'm excited to join the mac community.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple's education discounts have shrunk over the past years and now its in the neighborhood of 150 to 50 depending on what you buy

Edit: I just checked and it is 50 bucks for the MBA

3. wadek macrumors newbie

I've stacked a 5% Discover card cash back along with the educational discount in the past. The Apple Store is one of their ShopDiscover partners. Every penny helps.

4. Mjmar macrumors 65816

You'll probably see a $50 student discount on the new Airs, and as a bonus you'll get whatever Apple decides to give students for its back to school promotion. There probably won't be any significant discounts anywhere at the end of the summer so you're not losing anything by buying when they come out.

5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

This!

Back to School promotion will save you about $50. Upgrades are a tad cheaper as well. You'll also probably get a $100 App Store giftcard (which is what they did last year).

I personally got mine from Best Buy, since they essentially matched the education pricing discount, but also gave a $100 Best Buy giftcard (which can be more useful depending on what you're interested in). I also purchased it in a tax-free state, which saved about $70.

You could also hold out and go for a refurb or checkout MacMall via AppleInsider to get some decent deals too.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

It depends. On some of the higher end models it has been higher. Last year, Apple also offered a $100 iTunes gift card as part of a promo in July. I recall because when I walked into 5th Avenue on release day the person in front of me and I were both getting 11" i7s. Since he was a student (and I obviously was not) he also got a $100 gift card.

MacMall through AppleInsider's link is also usually good for a 5% discount, though they don't have anything special for students. Usually they get their first shipments in about a week after the Apple stores do.