Student Films

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by swwack91, Oct 21, 2007.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I'm a high school student and I'm aiming to one day attend film school. I've been working and learning for the last three or 4 years.

Anyone have some opinions?

www.youtube.com/caffruso

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

ok, you've been doing this for a while and you're sticking with it. good.

a few things...

1. composition

start learning it. i really didn't see much in the videos i watched (about 4 of them). each angle, focal length, position of subject, etc means something. you need to know what they mean and how to use them properly. oh, and learn about the 180 degree rule and follow it.

2. lighting

it didn't look like you tried to control the lighting at all. this is one of the biggest things that will help the look of your projects (10x more than any color correction).

3. editing

the editing was rather loose, which is a plague that infects most beginning filmmakers. don't feel bad. it happens to everyone. read up on editing. i love "In The Blink Of An Eye" by Walter Murch. best inexpensive/most useful book for people that want an introduction to editing.

4. music

stop using it so much. it is an excuse to cover up bad/no audio. do a short film with no dialogue and no music, just use completely diagetic sound(look up this term). this will help you with your storytelling and help remove your dependence for music (especially bad cliche music like "bad day" geez i f***ing hate that song. delete that from itunes and never put it in another video).

Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. Especially for someone still in High School. I dabbled with video stuff in HS, but went into college (UC Santa Cruz) as an Ocean Science major. Did that for a year and was sick of it. Went to film and never looked back. You've got a ton of time on your hands, so use that head start to your advantage.

3. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks a ton.

as far as lighting in "A Matter of Time" we did actually use additional lighting to help fix things up a bit.

"Bad Day" ... i hate that video so much and the song even more. i really should just take it off youtube. it's like the worst thing we've ever done.

and i wouldn't say we rely on music to cover audio... music videos are just my favorite things to make. they don't restrict a filmmaker to the rules of dialogue and things like the 180 degree rule.

we've never used audio to cover dialogue either. music montage, woo!

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

uh... you should still use the 180 rule with music videos. you should treat them like short films and those rules still apply. the 180 rule is there to help the viewer translate the story. it can and should be broken, but only in times when it means something to the film.