student help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neski, Aug 24, 2007.

  1. neski macrumors member

    Aug 24, 2007
    Hi im studying Architecture and have a 12in iBook G4 old but good. Im going to be upgrading soon and would like to know if a 17 macbook pro would be better than the 15in macbook pro. Ill be on the bus to and from uni and will not have far to walk when im at uni. but what I want to know is this. Should I wait till nov to get one when leopard comes out when I hope they will do an update.
    ill be using autocad so I need an intel laptop that’s one reason why im upgrading.any info would be great thanks.
  2. chex macrumors regular

    May 17, 2007
    the only diff between the 15 and 17 is screen size

    so that's up to you.

    I for one would not want to lug the 17 around everyday - I see it more as a desktop replacement than a portable.
  3. vicious7 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 16, 2007
    Jacked into the net...
    Dunno how many books you'll be carrying around, but if weight is an issue, then the 2.4 15" MBP would probably be best. It is just as powerful as it's 17" sibling but more portable. However, if you are built like a Mac truck (mind the pun), then it won't really matter, would it? :)

    Also with the money saved with the 15" MBP, you can get yourself a 20" widescreen to prevent you going blind when working on schems and such in your dorm/home.
  4. neski thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 24, 2007
    that was fast thanks for the replys.:)i love the 17 but I might just go for the 15 and then get 20" widescreen.thanks for the advice.also how about the update will it happen then do you think.around nov.i don’t need one right now but I will by jan or feb next year.:)
  5. teflon macrumors 6502a


    May 28, 2007
    Also remember that the 15'' has LED screen while the 17'' doesn't, but the HD version has the same resolution as the 23'' ACD (1920x1200). Personally, I wouldn't lug around a 17'', especially when you have small desks in lectures and such.
    As for the update, I wouldn't wait till Nov. for leopard. There wouldn't be an update that soon, no new technology coming out at that time, and leopard at student price is very affordable. However, if you can wait until jan/feb, then there most likely would be an update around there. I don't know how capable the G4 is running the apps that you're running, so I wouldn't advise you to wait 1/2 yr for a new computer. But if you feel your current computer satisfies all your needs, then you might as well use it until it doesn't.

Share This Page