Student / iMac purchase / timing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by M Smith, Aug 25, 2007.

1. M Smith macrumors newbie

Folks

I am considering buying an iMac on student discount. I am trying to decide whether it is worth waiting for the Leopord release or not.

Specific questions:
    - Does anyone know how long the current edu. discount (free iPod nano) will be valid
    - What is the normal student discount (i.e. after this promotion runs out - what can I expect as the student discount?)
    - When would Leopord be shipping with the new iMacs? Would this include iLife 08, iWorks 08, etc.

thanks ...

2. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

The free iPod nano promotion lasts until Sept. 16th. The student price you see for the iMac now should remain the same even after Sept 16th (not sure what the educational price on the iMacs are, I've only been eying the macbooks :D).

As far as Leopard, it isn't expected to be released until the end of October. iMacs should start shipping with that immediately after release. The computers (including the iMac) now come with iLife 08 bundled standard. Not sure about iWork, I think thats extra.

I'm finding it to be a better deal to buy my computer before Sept 16th to get the $200 iPod rebate and wait until 10.5.1 to buy Leopard (which I think will come in around around $70 with my student discount). YMMV though.