Student in need of help buying MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by astro123, Jun 15, 2012.

1. astro123 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a very specific problem and I hope someone will be able to help me.
    I live in a small European country where first authorized apple seller (no apple store yet) started selling apple stuff not two years ago. This means that MBP prices are absurdly high.
    This summer I am planning a trip to the US and seeing the price difference I've decided to buy my MBP there. And my question is: am I eligible for student discount in an American apple store or does this apply only to people studying at an American college?
    Haven't found any info on apples homepage.
    Note that I am a student and do have a Student ID from my university (plus ISIC student ID...if that is any help at all).

Thank you for all the answers!

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Is getting a country specific keyboard going to be an issue for you? Can't purchase that in a US Apple store.

As to whether the store will honor the discount, yes, with an ID they *probably* will, although the EDU a US store operates on is US specific. See:http://store.apple.com/us/browse/open/salespolicies/edu But you also need to find out from Apple how they handle the warranty when you take it back home. Without saying where you're from it's impossible to be more specific.

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

A friend of mine also from Europe was here last summer and was able to get a student discount even with the European schools' ID. They couldn't find it in their system, so they just put him down as attending a school here and gave it to him. So I think you should be fine.

If you get denied once, try again at another Apple store or even a Best Buy (which is the US's largest electronics retailer and is matching the Apple student discount; there are over 1,000 locations here so chances are you will have a Best Buy near you if you are anywhere near a major city). I used to work at Best Buy many years ago and I know that they are likely to honor the discount if the sale depends on it (though chances are they will honor it without even negotiating).

4. astro123 thread starter macrumors newbie

That was fast :D

No, country specific keyboard is not a problem. I'm sure I would be able to get a character specific keyboard here and just change the tiles.
    I am from Slovenia. This link that you posted is the thing I was talking about no useful info :)

@Gregintosh: Yeah, Europe is quite large and a majority of countries have had apple stores a long time (like Germany, France, UK and so on). More southern countries are just starting to get that privilege :D
    Your tip helped a lot though. I'm counting on them not to make a fuss about it. Like you said, if at first you don’t succeed...

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Actually it was, because it would have told you that the policy was the one that the stores actually work under here. But as I said, they would more than likely honor the discount. You still need to address the warranty. Swap keys like you say and you're voiding the keyboard portion, it's not considered user serviceable.

6. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Just be careful with bringing it back into the EU if your country is part of it, the taxes are high when telling them in the customs, but the fee when the custums guys catch you smuggling it in is much higher...

7. astro123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess the best thing would be to ask some genius at the store. And you're probably right about the keyboard thing. I will have to look into this matter a bit more.

@Lord Appleseed: Yeah, I've been meaning to check it out. I'll do that as soon as I'm through with my exams.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If you are planning avoiding duty, then dont over advertise your carrying a Mac; get a black Speck case etc for a starter, maybe an old PC branded bag Dell HP etc.

And i would heed the advice, if customs catch you they will be less than sympathetic, and import fees/fines will escalate . I have travelled internationally for decades and never had a problem, and I usually travel with a minimum of two computers, then again I have never been looking at deceiving the customs official, these guys have a very finely attuned sense of people who are nervous or under stress.

9. astro123, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

astro123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to put the things into perspective.
    Basic 13'' MBP costs 1199$ in the US. The same one costs 1565$ here. And they don't offer any student discounts. Nor does it have a country specific keyboard. They can replace it for a country specific one and it does not void the warranty. It does if I replace it myself. So it does seem logical to buy the computer in America while I'm there.

Did some phone calls and asked around. The warranty does apply all over the world so I'm good in that departement.
    As for the customs and taxes...my complicated flights work to my advantage. I'm flying from the USA to England as a tourst not liable to taxes. From there I fly home with a budget airline where they don't check anything. Plus I've read somewhere I could get sales tax refounded in some states (NY being one of them). Not sure if that info is correct though.

Thanks to everyone who helped with advice! If you have any extra tips they are always welcome ;)

10. wmage macrumors member

Do they ask you about what are you bringing back when flying back?

I came two times to Budapest, Hungary with new computers, and I just picked up my stuff and walked away.

OP's question: Depends on the seller, I got the discount with my ISIC.

Int. keyboard: European keyboard sucks! It's only good that he's getting American.

11. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

i'm sorry but that is nonsense. Opinions are different whoever you ask. I am not fond the the Amerikan keyboard.

12. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

Not true.
    It's his personal property then and he doesn't even have to declare that he bought it recently.
    We bought a mbp two years ago from apple in Miami and we used it for a few days at the hotel before returning to Europe.
    At the airport, it was my personal computer in my carry on bag and no one questioned it.
    If you are carrying boxed new items, then maybe it will be an issue because you could sell it.

13. astro123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just have another quick question for all americans out there. Is there a difference in buying a laptop in NY or let's say LA given the difference in sales tax.
    NYC has 4% and LA has 7.4% tax I think. Does that influence the end price? If you buy online it is the same, what about the stores?
    Sorry for such a trivial question :)

14. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

No, it doesn't work like that. Trust me, i know what I'm talking about. If you buy a laptop outside the EU and return with it you have to pay the EU and import taxes, except if you bought it more than 2 months ago in the foreign country, because then it is a "resettling"-good. Of course chances are good that you dont get questioned when having it in your bag, but they might as well guide you through the customs to do a random check up. Of course you dont have to declare it but if they see the laptop is new, they have the right to ask for a receipt. In case you cant show it they can keep the laptop until you do so, and if you bring it and it shows you bought it less than two months ago outside the EU you have to pay the taxes as well as a fee for trying to avoid customs.
    They reported about this in newspapers and TV-news a lot in my country; that system counts for all EU.

15. briiannj, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

briiannj macrumors newbie

NY is NOT 4%....I wish. You're looking at about 8% here.
    My suggestion: Delaware

No sales tax from what I understand.
    And online you pay a tax based off the shipping address or store pick-up location you enter

16. astro123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was assuming wikipedia had it right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

I really can not be picky about the states since I'm only going to NY, Washington DC (so close and yet so far) and California.

17. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

Even tho I've been livin in the us since high school, I am European as well. Therefore, I visit Europe for 2-3 times a year and God knows the amount of MBPs I took with me for my friends. You are good to go unless you have more than '3' mbps with you. No need to worry about that.