Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Weird, if your loans were transferred you should have received an letter before it even happens letting you know where it was being transferred to. In my case it was to MOHELA, and I received an letter from both parties a few months prior regarding the change.

Anyways, just finished paying off my loans this month, and it's a big relief. Good luck!

I just got my letters saying it was switched yesterday, well after the fact.

Glad I have it figured out, not pleased with how it came about though as they kind of leave you in the dark.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
I just got my letters saying it was switched yesterday, well after the fact.

Glad I have it figured out, not pleased with how it came about though as they kind of leave you in the dark.
Totally agree. Did you end up with MOHELA? They were pretty decent in my experience from dealing with them, but then I'm sure they didn't mind the final $9000 lump sum payment I paid over the phone.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Totally agree. Did you end up with MOHELA? They were pretty decent in my experience from dealing with them, but then I'm sure they didn't mind the final $9000 lump sum payment I paid over the phone.

nope, it went to fedloans

I actually prefer it as now I can pay loans off on an individual basis if I were so inclined. Couldn't do that before.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA

Actually, they probably didn't like it much. They just service the loan.

Since you paid it, they lose the servicing fee.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010

I actually prefer it as now I can pay loans off on an individual basis if I were so inclined. Couldn't do that before.
How was the transition? Mine went to edfinancial and thankfully everything went smoothly. I've heard mohela had major problems with changing people's payment amounts and interest rates and making them reapply for for automatic payment withdrawal. I was very relieved that I wasn't stuck with them

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
How was the transition? Mine went to edfinancial and thankfully everything went smoothly. I've heard mohela had major problems with changing people's payment amounts and interest rates and making them reapply for for automatic payment withdrawal. I was very relieved that I wasn't stuck with them

It was smooth. Everything carried over as it should be (to my knowledge) Due dates the same, same interest, same balance, etc

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan

It usually goes to fedloans automatically if you submit a PSLF certification. Happened to me a year ago.

My wife is in IBR and was previously on myedaccount like I was originally but seems like it was moved elsewhere. I also mailed them her copy of her SSN card to change the loan from her maiden name. That didn't happen. Haven't received a letter yet who is servicing now.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
An update: Just received a letter from Aspire Resources Inc who now service the account for my wife.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.