student looking at refurbished MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by travisjacques, May 12, 2009.

1. travisjacques macrumors member

hey guys, I'm looking at the aluminum 2.0 MacBook, if I buy refurbished will I still get student discounts and the 100 dollars off the printer?

2. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

^ There's your simple answer. Although you'll find a better deal through eBay with the Microsoft cashback program. I just did a 1 minute search and you can get a brand new sealed 2.0 unibody MacBook for $1,081 shipped.

3. Germwise macrumors regular

I wouldn't go ebay and here is why.

1st- most people on ebay are reputable but you could get screwed. Sometimes people post things as new when what they really mean is used for a couple of months but cleaned with windex and sealed with tape.
    If you figure this out you can of course send it back and ask for money back but its too much work.

2nd- Are they apple authorized resellers? meaning when does your warranty start? Do you have a receipt to prove this to apple if you need to take it in? What if next day SL is announced and you want to return?

The one advantage would be paying no tax. For that there are other online resellers that are most likely outside of your state and thus will not charge you sales tax.

Honestly saving 20 bucks on ebay just seems like a huge mistake to me

Also, Cashback takes 60 days and sometimes has some issues (I got 2x cashback for something one time and no cashback for something another time.)

4. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

Well I've always had a good experience with eBay.
    To avoid potential problems. Research the seller's feedback and ask questions.

5. Zillicah macrumors member

You can't use a student discount on a refurbished mac. However, you CAN get the $100 rebate for a printer when you buy a refurbished mac. I just bought a macbook refurbished + a printer w/ the rebate!

6. travisjacques thread starter macrumors member

how much is the student discount exactly? and when the student thing happens this summer will I have to pay for the iPod and printer in store and then mail rebates?

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

yes, unless local laws prohibit that.

8. Germwise macrumors regular

The question we should be asking is whether you'll still get a free iPod if you buy refurbished for the back to school deals

9. cracker macrumors newbie

Can you? If not I may be inclined to pick up a macbook sooner, rather than later.

10. Germwise macrumors regular

precisely. I still plan on waiting until after WWDC. I'm almost certain they will discontinue the white macbook and lower prices with a small speed bump. Refurbs should go down as well.

Also to consider is the fact that new production macbooks have nicer screens so more time=better chance of getting a good refurb screen.

11. cracker macrumors newbie

Quite right. I've been eyeballing the other threads going on about the newer screens, either way it seems like a shot in the dark picking up a refurb with a supposed improved screen. It really can't hurt to wait three weeks, but at the same time its oh so painful, being able to buy one and not doing so.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601