Student looking to make a portfolio site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by theirisnetwork, Jan 26, 2010.

1. theirisnetwork macrumors newbie

Hey guys and gals, after spending a decent bit of time using sites like Flickr and Behance to host my portfolio I think that it's time for me to get my own domain and host my website myself (Also additionally posting a link like http://www.behance.net/theirisnetwork doesn't look too attractive on a resume).

When it comes to the design aspect I can safely say that I am proficient, but I know almost nothing when it actually comes to hosting my material online.

What I'm looking for is just a host that will allow me to upload my work and a blog. From doing the research from the forums I see that some good ones are HostGator, GoDaddy, ASmallOrange, 1and1 and MacHighway.

The one issue that I do have is that I will be working solely on my Mac, so in my readings I found it confusing that most hosting was Linux based (correct me if I am wrong on this).

tl;dr Noob Design Student needs help starting up his website

I apologize if a similar thread has been posted already :(

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yes, most are run on Linux. They are well designed to be server machines. Macs are built on Unix, so have the same underpinnings. The fact that you have a Mac and the host is Linux makes no difference whatsoever. Even if you were using Windows, it wouldn't matter in the least.

There are plenty of good hosts and pretty much all of them will be able to support the type of site you want. You just need to find one that has costs you're OK with paying.

You may want to take a trip through the stickies in this forum. There's a ton of info in there to keep you busy and answer your questions. If you have specific questions just let us know.

3. theirisnetwork thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response and clarification on the servers!

As when it comes to pricing, I guess my budget would be about $100 for the year, would that get me a decent host?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, that's reasonable. I'm with DreamHost and if you sign up for a few years you can get that kind of pricing. The longer you sign up for, the lower the monthly/yearly fee will be. That's true for almost all hosts.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

does it make any difference if its Windows hosting instead of Linux? For example, I see that 1and1 offers both, so for a basic portfolio site like the OP describes, for Mac users does it really matter which should be picked? Or avoided?

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'd personally go Linux, but for the type of site you're doing it won't matter. They may offer some different technologies, but not ones you'll likely end up using.

7. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

If you're going to be paying $100 a year, why not just go with a Mobile Me account?
    I have my webpage hosted there, then purchased a domain name from GoDaddy for like... $1.37 USD (http://www.derekvince.info).

This gives you a top level domain name, and all the benefits of a mobile me account.

8. theirisnetwork thread starter macrumors newbie

My main reasoning towards not getting an MobileMe account is that I don't have a mobile phone which can utilize the service, and when it comes to syncing up all of my services I usually don't use any of the Apple services; also while I do like the website builder that Apple offers I'm looking in the future to design and code the website myself

Basically I do enjoy MobileMe's service but I feel that there are too many services which I do not think I will be using

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Good idea and works well, and I'd add that it's so easy to start up fast... modify these to save a huge amount of time.
    http://www.free-css.com/free-css-templates/page1.php

10. theirisnetwork thread starter macrumors newbie

If I get the MobileMe account, does it offer tools like FTP and Cpanel?

11. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

No. If you're seriously looking at putting a portfolio site online I'd avoid Mobileme. It's just not a proper webhosting solution. I've said before, the best I've come across is ASmallOrange. Really cheap, good support and good service with great features. I think you'd probably only need the basic package at $25 a year for what you'll be using it for anyway, which would save you quite a bit.

12. andrew086 macrumors regular

You did some terrible research, my friend.

13. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I have been very happy with Bluehost.

In terms of design portfolios, I am seeing a lot of my students moving from a traditional static portfolio site to using a portfolio-centric CMS like indexhibit. Its free and makes your portfolio a lot easier to edit.

http://www.indexhibit.org/

Personally, as long as the person is not trying to get a job in the web / interactive field I don't really have a problem with a coroflot or behance link.

14. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I'd STRONGLY suggest X10Hosting. (http://x10hosting.com/) It's free, you get 500MB, and you can add more space for cheap if you want. You had FTP, easy access to your server, web disk, and several other features. Its just a nice company.

I use X10 for 2 of my sites, and it works great.