Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdaddiey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Hey guys! I noticed that it says "proceed with caution" when buying a mac air and that they haven't updated the air in a long time. So it is more than likely due for a significant update? I was hoping to spend under 1000 dollars and have decided on the 11inch. Do you think I should wait to buy a computer after my first semester to get the new macbook air line? I am planning on buying refurbished so I won't be able to afford a new one probably unless they were around the 1000 mark. I would just feel bummed if I spent 800 dollars and then something that was WAY better come out. Thanks for taking the time to read my question. Please let me know what you would suggestion I do. :apple:

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Hey guys! I noticed that it says "proceed with caution" when buying a mac air and that they haven't updated the air in a long time. So it is more than likely due for a significant update? I was hoping to spend under 1000 dollars and have decided on the 11inch. Do you think I should wait to buy a computer after my first semester to get the new macbook air line? I am planning on buying refurbished so I won't be able to afford a new one probably unless they were around the 1000 mark. I would just feel bummed if I spent 800 dollars and then something that was WAY better come out. Thanks for taking the time to read my question. Please let me know what you would suggestion I do. :apple:

I'd highly recommend waiting as a new design with a much better screen is right around the corner. As a student I'd also recommend getting the 13" instead of the 11".

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

First, I echo the above comments that as a student the 13" is superior. If you anticipate writing anything (essays, reports, powerpoints, websites, etc.) then you will certainly benefit from the extra vertical realestate.

Considering your budget of $1000, I think the best bang for buck would be to find a refurbished or even gently used 2013 Macbook Air. The 2013 models are slightly cheaper than the 2014, but nearly identical in specs and speed, and have incredible battery life.

I would also urge you to not get the new macbook air that is expected to come out in 2015, whatever it may be, for a number of reasons: (1) it is expected to be a total redesign, and the first version of any design from any company is bound to have some problems or issues, as a student you want something proven and reliable; (2) it is expected to have fewer ports, as a student you will likely be using and sharing thumb drives or portable hard drives and need at least 2 USB ports; (3) it might have a new charger, as a student you want to have the same charger than all your classmates have, so you can borrow one on days you forget, and most students (at least in Boston from what I have seen) have Macs with the current magsafe charger; and (4) in all likelihood, the new macbook air will not be all that much better than the current one.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
First, I echo the above comments that as a student the 13" is superior. If you anticipate writing anything (essays, reports, powerpoints, websites, etc.) then you will certainly benefit from the extra vertical realestate.

Considering your budget of $1000, I think the best bang for buck would be to find a refurbished or even gently used 2013 Macbook Air. The 2013 models are slightly cheaper than the 2014, but nearly identical in specs and speed, and have incredible battery life.

I would also urge you to not get the new macbook air that is expected to come out in 2015

Totally agree with the above.

-- the 11" is great for portability, but maybe not enough screen if it's your only Mac. External monitor is always a possibility?

-- the current MBA form factor is well established and bugs are ironed out. Battery life is stellar. The rumored new one would be a big redesign and v1 might be a roll of the dice.

-- if something *really* grabs you about the new one, you can get a good chunk of your $ back via eBay to get it

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Totally agree with the above.

-- the 11" is great for portability, but maybe not enough screen if it's your only Mac. External monitor is always a possibility?

-- the current MBA form factor is well established and bugs are ironed out. Battery life is stellar. The rumored new one would be a big redesign and v1 might be a roll of the dice.

-- if something *really* grabs you about the new one, you can get a good chunk of your $ back via eBay to get it
I second this.
If the new one drops the USB ports and SD slot it will definitely be a roll of dice.
As it looks now they are working on something like an iPad with a keyboard type of thing, with a mobile CPU, but running OS X and probably no touch screen. Let's see how that will work out...

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I'm a huge fan of the refurbished Macs. Using one now. Excellent value and I am not able to distinguish between the MBA I purchased new and the refurb. I arrange the dock icons differently on refurbs to tell which one it is.

My budget is not terribly tight but the value is too good to pass up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.