Student Macbook/ Macbook Pro advice- which to get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Seamoose17, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Seamoose17 macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm a student and looking at getting a Macbook Pro.

But which model should I go for? I'll get the student discount which will be handy.

I'll just be doing general web browsing, word processing etc.

Should I go for the hopefully soon updated Macbook Pro which might get a price drop or go for a cheaper macbook. Also, is the 13" big enough for what I want to do?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Linkzi macrumors newbie

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

For the uses you've listed, a MB will do just fine. If you really want to spend the money or have a compelling need for a larger screen, then go MBP.

The refurb store is generally cheaper than the ed store, so if you're squeezing pennies, check there. I believe that both places are offering the "buy a mac get a free printer" deal (which is after rebate).

4. LesQQmorePewPew macrumors member

what size screen do you want. spec wise they are more or less the same

5. Seamoose17 thread starter macrumors newbie

In terms of screen size I think 13" would be fine- what do you guys think: is 13" too small?

I am torn between a MB and MBP but with this pending update I'm really keen on the MBP.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What course you doing? I have found 13" too small to have Word open with a PDF document open next, and still being able to read things clearly.

7. Linkzi macrumors newbie

If you can wait until the fall, Apple usually offers a free ipod touch along with the education discount.

8. Seamoose17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Enterprise development is what I'll be doing.

So do you have the 13"? And when you talk about a word file and a PDF- do you mean they are hard to see clearly if you have them both up at the same time?

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

every time someone has a situation like this, i can relate since this is a lot like my current situation.

*wait if you can-you don't need the MBP over MB, but you might as well see what they have.
    *13" MBPs refurb'd are the same as a full price MB
    *IMO, i would never spend 1K on an MB when i can spend $200 more on an MBP simply because I don't like the looks of the MB.

10. Seamoose17 thread starter macrumors newbie

My main issue is screen size.

I really don't mind waiting for the update because I'm not going to university until Spetember.

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Wait for the back to school event later this summer, and get a free printer, free ipod (touch), and a next generation mbp 13" with student discount ($100 off).

I would get the pro just for durability. The pro will also be updated hopefully by the back to school promotion, but the macbook (if like last year) will not be.

I think the 13" size is great, but it can a bit small if its your only computer (meaning no desktop or external display). The ideal setup is a 13" for use on the go, and a 22" or larger external you can plug it into own home.

12. hypermog macrumors regular

Since you have no requirements, get the cheapest macbook you can find.

13. Seamoose17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard about this free ipod touch thing- how does it exactly work?

Also, I live in the Uk so I'm not sure if the deals will be different over here.

14. misterwebmaster macrumors newbie

I'm typing this on my new white macbook. I'm very happy with it.

The speedier CPUs that come with the MBP's are unnecessary for general computing. The 9400M is a capable GPU and can game okay too. If you want more gaming get a PS3 :D. USB 2.0 can connect you as well as firewire except for a few custom type applications.

I got a custom build MB with 4 GB Ram and 500 GB HD. I got the educational discount and compared to a similarly specced MBP, I saved lots of money. I'm spending that saved money on a good 24" monitor and I'm still ahead.

As for the 13" screen size, it's fine for web surfing and word processing, and should be fine for programming/development type work. Expose and Spaces are real useful to leverage your screen space.

Another advantage of the 13" size is greater portability. Also, a plastic MB is less of a magnet for thieves than the aluminum MBP.

Until they are updated, the MBPs don't warrant the extra cost over the MB. Even after an update, they'll still cost more and for your stated purposes, the MB is more than adequate.

It all comes down to personal preference and what you can afford, but the white MB is the best value of the portable line right now.

15. Seamoose17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good.

How much is the educational discount- is it 15%?

I'm hoping that the macbook pro update will include a price drop.

16. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Uk we usually get a similar but not quite so good deal.

I think last year it was a rebate that pretty much covered the cost of an iPod nano instead of the touch, you could put that rebate towards the cost of a touch though.

We did have the rebate which basically works out as a free printer though.

I'm trying to work out whether or not to hold out for this year's deal or not. I don't really need a new iPod but another printer would be nice and why not get the nano too? :rolleyes: You can always sell the iPod, printer etc to put towards the cost of the computer too.

I'm thinking I'll get a macbook, just 'cause I'm worried by some of the stories of pros denting. I don't need the extra power.

17. misterwebmaster macrumors newbie

The discount is usually about 10%, thought you can easily check for yourself. applecare is a little heavier discount.

I wouldn't bet on a price drop. The only reason the last update included a price drop was because the hardware upgrade was weak. Apple hates to lower prices.

18. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Denting is better than cracking or shattering though.

19. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

If you can, wait until you actually go to uni to order - you get a better discount as a HE student than you would do otherwise, and you'll need to be on your uni network to access the page. It comes to about 15%, while the 'normal' student discount works out just under the 10% mark IIRC.

Either way, if you can get to an Apple Store (I know how hard that can be over here) then just go and try them out! 13" is probably a tad small if you plan on doing lots and lots of writing but it's much more portable than a 15". Plus, you can always hook up an external monitor if it's going to be your primary machine.

Note that as part of the HE contract Apple have, you'll receive the "warranty" side of AppleCare for three years absolutely gratis.

I wouldn't bet on a price drop, though, for the new MBPs. If anything, expect them to go the other way.

20. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Exactly, when they are both open on the 13" I sometime find it hard to read both, especially when writing term papers and staring at the screen for a long time.

21. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would say go with the 13". look around online, and there are still some aluminum MBs out there brand new with the 2.4 processor for around $1100 to 1200 (around the same as a base 13" MBP, but faster and a bigger HD). I love my computer and it does everything I need it to just fine, I even do some light gaming and it handles it no problem. I also have a 20" external monitor that I got for about $150, that works great and is plenty big enough to have multiple documents open, plus I can use the screen on my MB too. I don't think i would bother with a 22", most 20s and 22s run the same resolution, and if your dorm is anything like mine, you'll be short on space. In any case though, I would recommend the 13" with whatever you get, and if you need more space, an extra monitor is bigger and cheaper than getting a 15".

Good luck! :)

22. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I invested in a 22" for the exact same reason.

23. Seamoose17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers- very good advice.

Is the external monitor a necessity if I do go for the 13"?

And do apple still sell the aluminium MB or will I have to find it on Ebay or something?

24. cjohns97 macrumors newbie

I got a macbook pro 13" 2.53 ghz model last january and I am a civil engineering major. I really like the 13" for its portability, but the screen is a little small for doing some things, but you aren't going to see much difference going to a 15 inch. they both are too small. also, the macs easy zoom makes up for the smaller screen size. i am going to get an external monitor whenever I come up with the cash, then i will be set. in my opinion, the 13" is a lot easier to use in class. the auditorium seats at my campus are crammed together as tightly as possible with those tiny desks big enough for a sheet of paper. i use my macbook as a writing surface sometimes too when i am sitting in a hallway waiting for class to start and doing homework. it fits a sheet of paper on top of it perfectly. i have a case on it, of course. i intimately love my 13" macbook pro. :)

i was going to get a 15" with the 512mb dedicated video card because I will be using autocad a lot, but is it really worth the extra 1k$? you can build a decent desktop for that amount that will satisfy all of your graphical needs.

25. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The external isn't necessary, as I did without it for quite a while, but after having it, it makes it much easier having the portability of a small and light notebook and the external just to make multitasking easier. It all depends on what you do. If you are just going to be typically doing one thing at a time, the 13 is fine, but if you want to do a lot of things at once, I would recommend the external. You can probably get a pretty good monitor for cheap through your university as well.

As far as apple selling them, no. But I saw them brand new on powermax.com, and I am certain they are on other sites new as well, and it's also possible if your school has its own store that they still have some. I know that mine did a month or two ago.