Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjenkins505

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Ok so for one of my computer classes next semester I need to run windows. I have already installed Vmware Fusion 3.0 but now I need help. I can get windows 7 free through my school. I can download offline through them but how would I do this? Would it be better I wait a few weeks to get a CD version. Also should I choose between the Windows 7 Professional (x64) or x84 as those are the choices. My Pro has 4gm ram and runs on 2.26 ghz.

Thank you and sorry I bet you guys have answered similar questions before.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
If the online download is an .iso file, then go for it. Burn it to disc using Disk Utility by dragging the .iso file to the left hand panel. Insert disc and right click the .iso listed in Disk Utility and click burn.

Fusion and other VMs prefer .iso files. It's faster than installing from a disc. Get the x64 which is 64-bit and makes the most of your hardware.

cjenkins505

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
hey guys im really having problems here. When I hit the download on my schools site it goes to my desktop as a .exe and I cant even open it or do anything. Does anyone know what I can do or why Vmware isnt recognizing me this. Please guys help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.