Student needing macbook help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by koolkeat, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. koolkeat macrumors member

    koolkeat

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2007
    Location:
    Farmington, UT
    #1
    I will be starting college on august 27th...
    and will be getting a macbook when i start.
    I've kinda been holding out hoping for an update...
    but today i took a look at the buyers guide and the average time between upgrades won't be up for another 60 days...
    or on september 5th.
    should i hold out for an update or just get it?
    this also applies to 2 of my friends who are also holding out in hopes of an update.
    we don't want to buy one and it be outdated a few weeks later.
     
  2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

    Silver-Fox

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    England
    #2
    it might be worth waiting till your college term starts, if you are from UK like me, most schools, colleges start september. If that is the case i would wait
     
  3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

    italiano40

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2007
    Location:
    NY
    #3
    since update probably won't be that big,
    i would buy one now
     
  4. illidian macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    #4
    He said he starts "on August 27th."


    If you really want to ensure yourself that you get the very latest, you may have to wait to purchase until after school begins. With that said, the average is just that - an average. Apple doesn't wait until the average time between updates and release updates then, but rather when the technology is available and feasible to be implemented.
     
  5. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2005
    #5
    Personally, I'd get it and enjoy it until then. You never know on updates and if you have to wait too long, you might miss out on the back to school promotion which is great this year!
     
  6. ionlygreat macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2008
    #6
    i had the same issue - i decided to get myself my macbook pro y'day and i did! it's running great...if you like, you can wait till august, but i doubt if apple would release the new ones when the big student discount is still in place...you going to UT Austin? (august 27th sounds like UT)
    another thing- major updates are not expected for the MB and MBPs coming out this year, but for the ones coming out next year, so you may not gain too much by waiting (of course, you can never tell)
     
  7. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #7
    If you ABSOLUTELY NEED one before the term starts then get it. Otherwise it may be wise to hold out for an update - even though it may be quite minor.
     
  8. koolkeat thread starter macrumors member

    koolkeat

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2007
    Location:
    Farmington, UT
    #8
    No i'll be going to UVU in Orem Utah.
    i wish i was going somewhere else.
    shouldn't have slacked off in high school though.
    But thanks for the advice...
    for some reason i thought the major update was this year not next.
    thanks for the help everyone!
    i think I'll just get it and enjoy the student discount...
    cus i just sold my ipod touch about a half hour ago because i'm getting the 3g iphone and i'm having separation issues so i want it back.
     
  9. mynameisshawn macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2008
    Location:
    Oregon
    #9
    Being outdated doesn't mean it'll be obsolete, buy it now and enjoy.
     

Share This Page