Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

letterbox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
The thing is that a laptop is less upgradeable. Once you get more cash you can add more ram, bigger harddrive, new video card etc on the G5. On a laptop all you can do is add more ram, so don't waste so much on a laptop that your gonna get rid of in 4 years. The G5 will last you longer because you can upgrade it a lot more.

I definatly agree with you on this. However, I don't need a laptop to have a lot of hard drive space, or a great video card, or a top of the line processor. I expect a laptop to last about 2 years, and in that time, I don't think that an iBook will be unsufficient for your general college kid use, taking notes, internet, etc., and will be able to handle whatever design work I would have to do on it or choose to do on it. Now, might I choose a 1ghz PB over the iBook? It's a possibility, but money dictates that I don't have a lot of options for upgrades in the near future beyond what I am initially getting and what I need in the near future is power and portibility, and I think that the 1.8 with 1.25 gig of ram and a 1ghz portable machine will fit this bill fine.

Thanks for the opinion though, it is something I have taken into consideration prior to my purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.