Student needs some Advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sahee, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Sahee macrumors regular

Sahee

Hello MacRumors Community,
    since about half a year I was saving money for a new laptop. I never intended to buy a Macintosh but after the WWDC I really felt in love with the Retina-Macbook and that's why I am about to jump in foreign water (I am using Windows for more than 10 years).

...of course, this decision has not only been made because of the new Macbook release but although because of the fact that I am Computer Science student and I would like to obtain as much information about operating systems as possible. Having Windows, Linux and Macintosh on a single system sounds perfect for this purpose.

Anyway, I am having a hard time choosing the right Macintosh system for my needs. I already own a pretty powerful desktop machine, that's why I feel the power of the Retina-Macbook could be kind of wasted. As the Macbook air cost's 1500€ with 256GB SSD and 8GB Ram there is only a price difference between the base Retina of 400€. This money is invested into a powerful GPU and a Quad-Core CPU... which enables me to make video and photo editing while I am on the go or in university (which gives me more freedom as I can run every application at home or away). I do not plan to game on my laptop as I am only a casual gamer... so this factor is not important to me.

Yet I defiantly need at least 256GB data space as I will run 3 operating systems and quite a lot software applications... this could actually lead to problems of compatibility between the Retina-Display and the software that I use, as I don't think that every software will be updated, at least for quite a while.

My real problem is that I am concerned about the robustness of the rMBP (especially the display). As I will carry it around pretty often I wonder if the fact that it lacks the security display glass could lead to problems. Although I am afraid that it could be stolen cause of its pretty high value... I feel like I maybe would be super cautious while carrying it around. I don't think that I would have this feeling while carrying around the Macbook Air. I really would like to have the Retina-Display... its pretty awful that the Air does not have it yet.

So after I explained everything.. what should I buy in my situation?
    Macbook Air 13' Inch - 2.0GHZ Dual Core, 8GB-Ram, 256GB SSD (1600€)
    Macbook Retina - 2.3GHZ Quad Core, 8GB-Ram, 256GB SSD, 650m (2000€)

I know that even these days most applications only use a single core... so the Air will have about the same speed in many cases, compared to the Retina-Mac.

my third option is to buy the Asus UX21A, which is a 11inch Laptop with a pixel density of 190 DPI (Retina has 220 DPI). It would cost 1300€ but only has 4GB of Ram (rest of the specs are the same as air). The biggest factor against the Asus is that I would lack the Macintosh OS.

2. bansheebeat macrumors regular

bansheebeat

If you're only concern is the safety and robustness than I suggest getting the rMBP. Just use common sense and don't let it out of your site. I take mine to class with me every day and have never had any issues because I always keep my bag right beside me. I think you will enjoy having the extra computing power and the nice display. The Air is great, but for just a little bit more money you can have an awesome laptop.

3. Sych0 macrumors newbie

4. Sahee thread starter macrumors regular

Sahee

Personally I see no reason for picking up a 13' inch Macbook instead of an air.
    Regarding the reviews the maxed out Air is even faster than the normal Macbook 13'inch.
    Although resolution is a big factor for me.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

Get a 13" MacBook Pro (storage capacity) or Air (speed, portability). For absolutely no reason would I ever want to worry about a $2200 laptop while I was a college student.

Until you're dependent on your laptop to survive, stick with something a little cheaper. The power and amazingness of the rMBP screen won't help much now.

Either way, I'm envious of your choices right now.

6. Sahee, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

Sahee thread starter macrumors regular

Sahee

You're right regarding the price factor... but the difference (1600€-2000€) is "only" 400€ and I would get a Quad Core + dedicated GPU... and of a course Retina-Display. I think the money would be good invested.

...damn, its a hard choice.
    My local store only had the new MBA 2012... I could not see the Retina-Display yet. I think that's the main factor for my friction. I compared the size and weight of the MBA Air 13'inch with the 2011 MBP 15'inch... and actually there wasn't much of a noticeable difference in dimensions and weight. So the portability of the rMBP is defiantly enough for me.

7. ricardo paiva macrumors newbie

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Buy whichever you want and then buy a decent bag for it problem solved. If you are worried about damaging it get some accidental breakage cover as well.

9. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I've heard a lot of people go for third party insurance such as Allstate, etc for as low as $40/yr. I'm also deciding if I want an RMBP for college, but if I do, I'm definitely getting it insured (usually covers accidents/theft).

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Especially theft! The downside of owning the worlds most desirable brand.