Student prices *after* mid-Sept....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bodega., Sep 3, 2006.

  1. Bodega. macrumors newbie

    Aug 26, 2006
    Hi all,

    I was planning on getting a Macbook but was going to leave it as long as I could to make sure a) I can afford it and b) I get the latest model week I can to minimise my chances of getting a lemon.

    Since I'm eligible for a student discount, and the mac+ipod deal that's currently offered is pretty appealing, I'm tempted to get it before it ends.

    But then on the other hand, the idea of getting one after it ends, when Apple (most likely) makes their announcement about the next generation of processors, is quite appealing also.

    I imagine that Apple will be offering some sort of student discount, but how would it compare to the deal currently offered? Would anyone be able to shed some light on that?

    thanks in advance,
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor


    Staff Member

    Jan 20, 2005
    Are you referring to the educational discount itself or the Mac/iPod rebate program? After the rebate ends, you likely won't see a repeat of it until next year at this time. If you mean the standard educational discount, as long as revised MacBooks are released at similar price points as the current versions (which they should be), the educational discount should be about the same as it is now.
  3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030


    Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    I'd just wait till Paris (Sept 12) and see what gets announced there. That's when they'd most likely release something new. If nothing comes out then, I'd go ahead and buy and still grab that iPod deal.

    Also, Apple's student discount is always the same.. so the discount you see now is the discount you'll get then.
  4. Zeke macrumors 6502

    Oct 5, 2002
    Greenville, SC
    Wait until the last possible chance for the new ones to be released and then just get one of the old ones if you have to. The MB is a great computer. There are reports of people with problems but then there are also many many people who have absolutely no problems whatsoever.

    But the educational price won't change because there's no ipod/mac promotion anymore. So keep in mind that you won't be able to get that $179 discount after it's over.
  5. Bodega. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 26, 2006
    Ah, so if I understand correctly, I'll pay the same amount but not get the iPod? Well, I def. would like an iPod....

    Though on the other hand, if I wait I *may* get a faster processor for the same price. Or perhaps they'll even blow out the current models for (relatively) cheap.

    Choices, choices....
  6. bearbo macrumors 68000


    Jul 20, 2006
    if, and when the newer model comes out, you won't see them selling the current model of macbook anymore, aside from refurb, which won't qualify for the ipod.
    and education discount is roughly about 10%... at any given time. they won't just give you 20% just because the Major in Mac rebate ended.
  7. i4k20c macrumors 6502a


    Sep 10, 2005
    Here is what you do, i did it last year...

    you buy the computer + ipod a couple days before the expo and within the free ipod promo. apple offers a FULL 14 day return policy if nothing is opened! So, get the computer + ipod, don't open anything, wait til the expo, see if they annouce anything, if you feel the annoucement was big enough, return everything and buy the new computer.. if the expo annouces nothing, enjoy free ipod + computer. :eek:
  8. bearbo macrumors 68000


    Jul 20, 2006
    the major in mac ends sept 16, but expo is sept 12... so you got a 4 days window on that already to not do this... unlike a month ago when there's tax free in MO on 8.4~8.6... and the WWDC was 8.7, now that was risky
  9. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502


    Sep 17, 2003
    South America
    You could just buy it and not open the box until WWDC. If something new came out and you'd prefer that, you could return the unopened box without a restocking fee.
  10. net26 macrumors member

    Aug 30, 2006
    yeah right.. how many of us can have an unopened box with an awesome computer at home for like a week??? :D :D
  11. DeSnousa macrumors 68000


    Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Also worth noting, there might be new iPods :p

    It really is tough deciding when to by an Apple, but in the end of the day it's not like your laptop/iPod will become obsolete. Shoot my iBook 1.2 ghz is doing just fine :)
  12. debrey macrumors regular

    May 4, 2006
    Same advice I always give...

    Go to your school's local computer store. They often have awesome deals on Macs, better than the standard education discount. Right now mine (UCLA) has $500 off the MBP as well as the free iPod.

    -- David
  13. Zeke macrumors 6502

    Oct 5, 2002
    Greenville, SC
    Mine couldn't combine the free iPod with the extra education discount beyond what apple offers. Lame...

  14. Haarball macrumors member

    Aug 27, 2006
    Exactly. I'll never be able to leave my Macbook and 30GB iPod untouched for several days, maybe even a couple of weeks, especially considering it's my first one.

    Jesus Christ, I'll leave that to masochists.
  15. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816


    Aug 8, 2004
    America's Wang
    One thing to keep in mind is that you can get a $100 mail in rabate off of and no tax and no shipping. This usually comes out cheaper than the usual Apple Edu price unless you are getting the iPod deal....
  16. Bodega. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 26, 2006
    Ah, if only my school had a computer store. It's very small, or very large, depending on how you look at it. It's a fulltime program offered by the local school board here in Montreal (Canada). The school board is, of course, very large, but my program has less than 100 people, thus no store.

    Amazon, unfortunately, isn't an option - I don't think - here in Canada either. Though if I'm wrong on that, by all means correct me.

    As far as avoiding the restocking fee... if you buy from the Apple store, it is sent to you. I would assume you would have to pay to send it back to them if you decide to return it, unopened?
  17. azzurri000 macrumors 6502

    Nov 9, 2005
    I checked out the Canadian (Education) and American Apple Stores websites, and I believe that the return policy is a lot different here in Canada (at least for the education store.)

    This is what I found -

    "Return Policy

    Please note that Apple only permits the return of products due to an Apple shipping or order processing error and that all other sales are final. If you have received an incorrect product due to an Apple shipping or order processing error, please use the following return process:"

    The strange thing is that I found different return policies for the education and regular consumer Canadian Apple Store websites... perhaps you should call Apple's customer service to be certain.
  18. budugu macrumors 6502

    Sep 8, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The prices will fall

    My take on this whole madness is that after 25th sept or when ever apple introduces the speed bumped processors (probably not Core 2 -Merom stuff). They will drop the high end prices by a good 100$ and the lowend mac book by 50$ (because the median price for Core Duo 1 books is around 700-900 w/DVDRW and Webcams). they will definitely have better specs. Now the only things that they can easily increase are processor speeds (0.17 Ghz increases -totally lame) and HD ( may be 60-> 80->100GB, a little less lame). And a 8x DL burner (new thinkpads started having the 9.5 mm -slim 8x -Multis) - probably is the most interesting. ALl the other components are totally impossible to change. So if you ask me wait it out. If you want a nano. There will be new ones at about the same price points and hopefully like ultra small ipod minis.

    So bottom line -> want to buy the LOW END MACBOOK -> BUY NOW

    * that said i bought a stock black macbook 2 weeks ago :p (and split the rebate w/ my friend 135-45 (he got a 4GB Nano).

Share This Page