Student printer?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSamurai, Oct 12, 2008.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I'm looking for a printer for university to print out lots of text and pictures.

I've tried Epson a couple of years ago, Lexmark too, and now Canon. I haven't tried HP yet, as a sales convinced me to buy a Canon instead of an HP at the same price.

being a computer junky I replace the cartridge ink myself to save some cash (yeah, that syringe thing).

I found that Canon printers leave dirt ink-marks all over the show, which doesn't look so pretty. Lexmark's cartridge has a limited reuse lifespan, and Epson, it's alright but it clogs up too easily. And sometimes it sounds like a better deal if I actually purchase a new printer instead of buying genuine cartridges (even though the ones that come with a new printer have less ink, but i can do away with refill ink).

any RELIABLE printers out there?

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Try a laser one. There are some that do color too. I picked up a Brother HL-2140 for $99 even though it only does B/W

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I have only used HP and Lexmark printers and recommend HP by far. Lexmark ink is insanely expensive, which HP isn't that cheap either, but my cartridges last forever (I've had these for about two years now).

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I have been using HP printers for the past 5+ years, and I have never had any problems with them, so I would say go ahead and do an HP.

5. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

laser printers are kinda out of my price range... but their cartridge seems like to last forever (although i dunno about toner refills).

I'll try give HP a try, but one thing that keeps me from buying it is their trademark paper-flip that sucks the paper in from the front and makes a 180º roll inside. I can't print stuff like envelopes and labels :p I also dunno about HP's printing quality...

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

A lot of models have a door on the back that allows you to feed things like envelopes straight through. Is there an equivalent to Craigslist where you are? Laser printers can be found dirt cheap there - most people don't want to deal with the shipping hassle.

7. joaoferro37 macrumors 6502

joaoferro37

If you have clog issue or banding issue on your Epson ink jet printer, try this clean kit.
    http://www.timelinedigitalinc.com/ufosystem-iremove-printer-cleaning-p-829.html
    Yes, it works well.

But wait, my refill ink kit for R280 and for Epson 3800 has no issue clogging.
    What brand of ink kit are you using?

8. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I have owned Epson and HP. Both have great quality, but HP seems to be the most reliable.

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

My vote is for HP, whilst they're definitely the priciest around, they do make damn good printers.

And don't get Lexmark, I learnt that the hard way, bought some new cartridges in Sept. printed 2 essays (B&W only), and it's now saying I need to replace BOTH colour and Black ink... Last year it wasn't much better either, seemed to bleed ink even when I wasn't using it...

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

The thing is, the cartrige costs about 60 canadian dollars... but it prints about 1500 pages.

Buying ink for a Canon printer used to cost twice as much, including both black and 3 color cartridges, but you don't get half the amount pages out of it...

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I second that opinion. There are alot of dirt cheap B/W laser printers out there. I got the same printer (refurbished) for $30. That's less than the cost of toner alone.:eek: HP lasers are nice, but they kill you on the toner. Brothers are generally less spectacular, but the toners are half the cost of HP. Being a student (ie. dirt poor), the Op would under stand the value of money.:D Printing the same amount on lasers would cost a lot less than ink in the long run. Also the Brothers toner are easier to refill.:cool: