Student Prosumer Dilemma. Mac or PC.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JayAr, Jul 21, 2011.

1. JayAr macrumors newbie

When I picked up my MacBook Pro about four years ago my plan was to refresh once I graduated from college as a film student. However after some life changing situations i've changed majors to game art and design, and after a year long break I'm still in school yet needing a computer with a bit more "umph".

Currently I've been looking over the new iMacs, in particular the fully upgraded (16 gigs ram, 2.8 GHz i7, 2TB HD) 21.5 inch one. However, my issue is that of cost and use. I'll be frequently using Adobe products (photoshop in particular), along with several 3D programs such as Maya and 3Ds Max. However since my background is in film I would like to continue using editing tools I grew up with (Final Cut or Premier Pro... the former being my preferred).

For programs like 3ds Max and UDK I would plan on using bootcamp, (not to mention for gaming on the side) however this new reliance on several Windows-only programs has me concerned if it wouldn't just be better to have a tower constructed that could be more powerful and a bit cheaper then the iMac+Windows7. I'm biased towards mac, especially for it's security and stability, but I can see a personalized tower potentially outlasting the mac with it's upgrade ability.

Thankfully my MBP is still running smoothly, however I would like to update in the next few months as currently my budget is well enough to afford such a hefty expense. Simply put, I'm looking for any suggestions for going either way, or any good advice for what I should be looking for with the type of work I'm studying into.

Thanks.

2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I'd go with a PC Tower in your situation. In the gaming industry I don't think you'll find much Macs for obvious reasons. At least I didn't see any in the making-ofs I have seen. You'll get much better performance for your money than with the iMac, especially when doing 3D renderings. With some upgrades the PC also will last longer than the non-upgradeable iMac. Security and stability shouldn't be an issue with Windows 7.

Keep your mbp for OS X and maybe get an Apple laptop again when it's time to upgrade your portable machine. That way you'll have the best of both worlds and not the compromise that is the iMac.

3. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

I would agree with the tower.. but... best of both worlds... *cough* hackintosh *cough*

4. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

+ 1

It's cheaper, upgradeable and you already have a mac portable.

5. JayAr thread starter macrumors newbie

Guess simply put it seems the logical choice. I know adobe makes their software from the ground up for both systems, but would there be a disadvantage for running it on a PC if I build it as the powerhouse?

6. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

If 3dsmax is a main tool, it'd be a big hassle to switch constantly between OSX and Windows. Get a PC tower if you're dealing with 3d. Same goes for Maya.

Maya for PC > Maya for Mac.