Student Purchase of MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by frezkee, Oct 18, 2009.

1. frezkee macrumors newbie

I am interested in purchasing a MBP but not sure if I should go with a 13" or 15". I'll be using this computer in college next year so the computer will have to be portable.

Is the MBP 15" worth the extra $200 over buying a MBP 13" or perhaps a MBP 13" with an external monitor?

Also as a student, is the apple care recommended? Not really wanting to shell out money for an extended warranty.

Thanks for any help.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would wait, there are a couple of reasons:
    1. An update is on the way (likely before the end of October, most likely for just the 13")
    2. Both computers will be updated before you start school next year (they both we updated in June)
    3. If you wait, you can take advantage of the Back-To-School promotion and take advantage of a free iPod
    4. Certain schools will require you to purchase a specific computer or will give you a computer
    5. You don't get the same EDU Pricing, so you will save money

As for the other discussion. I use a 17", so iThink that the extra screen is fully worth it. However, most people are going to recommend the 13" mainly because the amount of happy 13" users we have on here. Depending on your dorm situation, an external monitor may not really be an option or desirable.

I'd highly recommend AppleCare, if you plan on keeping the notebook for more then two years.

If you need more advice, check out these threads.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would also wait until you go to college your College may have an agreement which means you can get a bigger education discount!!

4. Scippy macrumors regular

Also usually in August, Apple includes a free iPod when you buy a mac.

5. Cricketman macrumors regular

Yep, usually June through Sept you'll get the free iPod + Printer promotion on the macs, plus the ~100$ discount on the computer.

I'd get the 13' personally. I know in college i'm going to have to lug this thing EVERYWHERE, and it has to sit quietly in my backpack with the rest of my heavy books and materials, and thus needs to be light. 13' is more than enough to watch movies, write papers, chat, and fb, which is mainly what a college student is going to be doing.

If you really want the extra screen space then the 15' is a good option too, but also consider getting a cheap 19' external monitor or something this black friday (Usually from 125-200bucks) and hook it up to the mbp next year.

6. jjwhite macrumors newbie

Coming from a grad student, buy a 13 or 15.

13 is more portable and just in general my choice. I've progressively downsized from a 17 and having a smaller, lighter unit is definitely the way to go.

Also, buy applecare. I can't stress that enough.

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

buy 15inch...its portable and also has decent sized screen...and you'll get education discount on apple care so i'll recommend that you buy it...

and i'd also wait for updates(if there are any):)

8. Buzz Bumble Guest

Very unlikely. The rumours are for MacBooks to be updated soon, not MacBook Pros. The Pro models were updated fairly recently, so are unlikely to get another update until early next year.

9. JCP21 macrumors member

If you ring up apple and say you are about to join college they will most likely give you the same discount as if you were there [​IMG]

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The 13" Pro is not exactly on the same cycle as the other two models.

11. katyoshi macrumors 6502

My sister and I both have the new 15" MBP and we don't regret it. At first, we wanted the 13" but our parents insisted we get the 15" as we will get more screen space and it's only like about 1 pound more than the 13". We got the 2.66ghz with the dual graphics (sorry if i termed this wrong). My sister is an undergrad trying to get into nursing school and I'm a graduate nursing student. The kind of work we do, this 15" MBP is good enough for power and portability.

I carry my 15" MBP everywhere I go on campus in my black nylon(i think) incase sleeve that is carefully placed into my backpack with a laptop sleeve for extra protection :rolleyes:. I keep all my notes and whatever in my MBP so I have no need to carry notebooks. I would carry class books if its small enough to put into my backpack otherwise I would carry it in my hands esp if they're large textbooks. Carrying the MBP in your hands with the incase sleeve is good too but i'm scared i may drop it so i keep it in my bag. It is light enough to be very portable! :)

Btw, parking sucks at my University so I park off campus in the residential areas. It takes about 10 minutes, sometimes 15 minutes if i have to find farther parking, to get onto campus by walking and I have my MBP with me in my bag. No problems. I love exercise and lifting weights as I use to wrestle in high school and I wouldn't complain about this 15" MBP being carried around. BUT a 17" MBP would be too large and thus, heavy for me to carry around in my backpack for a long time. So I have one complaint here about the 17". :) I'd say 15" if a perfect medium.

12. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Wait until the summer before college to buy your MBP.

I would get the 13" + external monitor. An external monitor no doubt increases work productivity, especially writing papers in personal experience. I read an article a few years ago that said 22" - 26" monitors can increase work productivity by as much as 50% over a laptop.

13. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Where did you see this article? Im interested to know because it really does seem to increase my work productivity at home with this monitor than if I was just use my mbp itself. However, being at starbucks is a different story as chicks there motivate me to look smart and studious.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They clearly did not factor that into the equation.

15. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Lmao.

16. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I THINK it was macworld, but don't remember as it was at least 2-3 years ago. It was a Mac magazine though.

17. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I find using a 21" and 13" MacBook dual monitoring is about 1000x better than just the 13" screen. Today I unhooked everything and brought my MacBook upstairs to my room to do homework only to come back down about 5 minutes later. Its just so inconvenient to have everything on one screen. I don't think I'll ever be able to live with just my 13" now :(

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

And that is why I have a 17"

19. Andy348 macrumors 6502

And thats why I wish I could afford a 17" :(

20. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Get the refurbished 24" ACD, you won't be disappointed with the 13" macbook you already have. If you have money, get the new imac or mac mini later. I was thinking about the new mac minis as i already have many of the apple components and peripherals to use a mac mini as my desktop. Hey btw, hows your bose companion II? I have a 2005 year altec lansing speakers with subwoofer still running strong and I'm planning to give these to my sister and buy new speakers. Hows the base?

21. Buzz Bumble Guest

It is now that it has been "promoted" to being a Pro model.

It's only the white plastic MacBook, Mac Mini, and iMac that are rumoured for updates soon.

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's still not on the same cycle given the processors that it uses.

23. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I used a 15" throughout college with no problem. Portable yet with a nice screen size. Apple care isn't necessary. You're likely never to use it...but if you have to, it'll probably save you lots of money. Also, if you want to game in bootcamp, then you need a 15" with dedicated graphics. The 13" only has integrated graphics.