Student seeking advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jlreed1, Jan 20, 2009.

1. jlreed1 macrumors member

i'm currently a student majoring in accounting and i'm thinking about buying a macbook and i talked to my parents about it and they asked me if i thought there were things that i could accomplish on a mac that i couldn't on a pc. so i was just wondering in y'alls opinion if y'all thought that a macbook or a pc laptop would be better. any input will be much appreciated. thanks!!

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i had to overnight an old laptop to my sister because she got a virus on her windows computer right before finals week.

3. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

the other thing that i would add is that i think the components of iwork are easier to use and i think that keynote is much nicer than powerpoint ( time+effort vs. end result) you will probably be doing a lot of these

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Macbooks can have iWorks Numbers which rules for Business Accounting and Report Creation.

5. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I was an accounting major in college (Northeastern University BSBA Accounting 2005) and got through just fine with a 12" powerbook at the time. With the ability to install windows on the intel machines should the need arise, I dont see any reason not to get a Mac.

6. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

I think it comes down to what you believe you'll need out of your laptop. Are there windows specific programs you'd ever have to use? I remember being frustrated at having minimal Mac support when I first made the switch (with regards to some programs/apps I needed for my classes), but these days, it seems like platform choice isn't an issue. You'll get a sympathetic crowd here about going for the macbook, so if it's what you want, I say go for it.