Student Software Suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacAttack85, Mar 11, 2009.

1. MacAttack85 macrumors newbie

MacAttack85

:) Hi All,

Long Time PC user turned Mac Lover a year ago

I have done some "googling" to try and find productive and useful software for University, Mac and I. Some of these I am sure you have heard of, others you might not of.

Here it is

Software

And yes, the site was made completely on a Mac :rolleyes:

I hope it benefits you guys as much as it does for me

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

Good reference, nice work.

However I've never heard of this, in regards to video encoding on a MacBook before -
    I don't think this is correct.

edit - you also could add Cyberduck for FTP, Skitch for quick image editing/annotation, Transmission for Torrents, Perian for Quicktime capabilities, Things for GTD, Dropbox for sharing files/backup, TextExpander for expanding text snippets, OnyX for sys maintenance etc.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's a very long site, and would be better split into pages (or at least more manageable). I also ran your source html through the W3C Validator and it found 292 Errors. Might be worth looking into.

4. MacAttack85 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacAttack85

Thanks for the feedback, Ill check out into those programs you mentioned and split up the pages

I use Safari and get no errors. I know there are some major issues with IE that I need to sort out and Firefox has a few compatibility problems, but I was not expecting 292 errors :confused:

That needs fixing

5. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

It might not be as bad as it sounds, as often 1 error will cascade into many errors. It's even possible that you fix just some of the errors (ie 5-10) and the rest will "disappear" (as the first error created/caused the subsequent errors.)

6. MacAttack85 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacAttack85

Its just my view, I will change that too. It gave my Macbook a hard time, my friend has the same intel chip as mine in his MacBook Pro and he doesn't see the same temps or fan speeds when encoding. surely it can not be good to reach those figures. Do Graphic cards help when encoding?

7. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

Just the way it was worded made it sound like it was an official limitation, or a known restriction :)

I don't know enough about it to give you the correct answers to these questions.

However I often use a MacBook for video encoding and have no problems (I don't have a MacBook Pro to compare this to though.)

I don't believe that the video card plays much of a role in encoding, I believe it's more of a CPU/RAM task.

8. MacAttack85 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacAttack85

Wow I just used W3C HTML tidy index.html had 251 errors and 9 warnings

I copied the code and pasted it into the index.html now I am at 9 errors and 1 warning

Thanks Guys ;)

I validated the Software page, I am only getting 3 errors now I love validator :)