Student Wanting to Buy MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redaxe, Mar 26, 2009.

  1. redaxe macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2007
    #1
    Hi all,
    I am considering buying the 2.4Ghz standard MacBook Pro model that I can get through my university for $1,999 with AppleCare and a whole suite of software (endnote, Microsoft Office, various engineering and science software) pre-installed. Obviously, this is a great deal that would otherwise cost me approx. $2.5k. I am now a freshman and this computer will need to last me through until graduation. That said, the 2.66 model is not an option for me (the university doesn't offer this model), but I want to future proof myself as best I can.

    My question is this: should I buy the MacBook Pro before WWDC or wait and see if the entry-level Pro receives a modest performance boost (more Mhz, support for 8GB of RAM)? I really want to make a smart purchase and I'd hate to dish out the $2k now and then have Apple update the model in a couple weeks (like they did with the 2.53 UMBPs!).

    The catch is that I am leaving the country for the entire summer and don't have a functioning laptop with me (the current MacBook I have has a busted screen and I'm using it with an external monitor). I'd like to have my MacBook Pro this summer. What are the chances of Apple doing any under-the-table upgrades to the 2.4Ghz model by the end of May?

    Please help me with this decision. Thank you.
     
  2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

    ViciousShadow21

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    To your left or right
    #2
    this offer really is too good to pass up. under normal circumstances i would say go for the 2.66 but good your saving like $800. its a no brainer.

    the MBP's shouldnt get a significant update probably until fall '09
     
  3. NickM macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #3
    If you use eBay and PayPal, then I would highly suggest doing that. You will be able to get a MUCH nicer spec system for the same amount of cash.
    That's what I did. Look into it!
     
  4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #4
    Well what exactly is your major?

    Do you really need all of that bundled software?
     
  5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

    MarcBook

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Location:
    Jersey, Channel Islands
    #5
    If you feel that you're really going to use all of that software, I'd say go for it. It does seem like a good deal to me. :)
     
  6. redaxe thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2007
    #6
    My major is probably not something science related (I'm undecided) but I think it'd be great to have all that free software included in the value. Right now, I'm thinking I might just fix my Macbook and wait until the fall to get a better system. The buyers guide does say to only get it if I really need it.
     
  7. jeremybuff macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2009
    Location:
    Asheville, NC
    #7
    The two higher end MacBook Pros support 8GBs of RAM. Go for it man, buy the laptop. You're saving a hell of a lot of money.
     
  8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #8

    ...honestly, if you're doing a lot of traveling, I'd get a netbook like an ASUS eeePC1000HE... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220504 $389.99 plus shipping, weighs 3.2 lbs and has up to ~9.5 hrs of battery life per charge...

    That way, if it gets stolen, dropped or any other problem, you aren't out lots of cash and can get your new MBP right when the updates happen.
     
  9. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

    capriseyhaze

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2009
    Location:
    florida
    #9
    If the software bundel is really the only selling point i would just use the ebay route and get a better spec machine. Not to sound like a pirate but you can get ANY software free. The better your specks the better your resale value is. So when apple has a drastic update later this year and you wa t it you could easiley sell your 2.66 and make a nice peice of change off of it. Anything that you are spending more then 2 grand on is an investment and you want to. E able to make some money off of any investment that you make
     
  10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #10
    Take the deal. You can't future-proof. The 2.66 will be just as "obsolete" as the 2.4 in 4 years. Just take a look at the top-end laptops from 4 years ago. Even today's a low-end MacBook beats it. If Apple were to bump the books, it would be marginal. I don't think we'll see a revised laptop line until the fall or winter though. That seems to be Apple's m.o. these days... An "early" year model and a "late" one.
     
  11. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

    Patriks7

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    #11
    Actually, I find that it is harder to pirate Mac software.
     
  12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #12
    Pretty asinine "advice."

    1) You do sound like a pirate. Cracked software isn't "free," it's stolen. For something to be "free," the owner has to agree to give his (intellectual) property away. Given your definition I can tow your car away and wa-la I just got me a "free" car.

    2) An "investment" isn't dependent on a threshold dollar amount, nor does it involve the purchase of consumer goods for personal use. When a consumer buys a computer, he is merely spending. Spending is the opposite of an investment. When you make a true investment you hope to get a return on your money in excess of your original cash outlay, i.e., the investment.
     
  13. foxx0775 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    #13
    i major in physics and i have the 2.4

    perfect for all my needs (logic studio, matlab, ps)

    my two cents
     
  14. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #14
    What's the point of free software if you aren't going to use it?

    In any case, the 2.4 GHz MBP will be fine for you. I'm still on my 2.0 GHz Merom MBP and it's not as if new models have made my machine slower. There will always be something better just around the corner.
     
  15. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

    capriseyhaze

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2009
    Location:
    florida
    #15
    Who cares if its stolen? I sure as hell dont smug guy. WTF are you talking about "its not an investment" are you serious? Everybodys not rich. So spending 2 grand is an investment to me. I can already tell by your whole post your just a lame probally rich as hell have no clue what the real world is like. You got some nerve attacting someone over a question in wich the answer is 100% a statement of opinion.
     

Share This Page