Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznkid25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
http://cbs5.com/local/stanford.iphone.applications.2.849590.html

As the iPhone gains popularity, Stanford students have developed five software applications to make the university's core web-based systems and services available through the iPhone.

Two of the applications are intended for students, so that they can manage their course registration and bills, according to the university. The other three applications will allowed access via the phone to Stanford's searchable campus map, let users check listings in the university's online directory and get team scores and schedules.

Terriblyclever Design, a San Francisco company co-founded by a junior computer science major at Stanford, developed the applications. Kayvon Beykpour co-founded the company in August 2007, and five of the company's six full-time employees are also undergraduates at Stanford.

"We really were passionate about being more engaged in these systems," Beykpour said. "I am a student and I use all these services, and I can't tell you how exciting it is to spend your time working in a capacity that you love working in, but also such that your final product affects your community."

The project sets a new standard for student collaboration and interaction within the institution itself, according to the university. The university also decided to offer a computer science course this fall to teach students how to program iPhone applications. It is the first of its kind in the country, and have more than 80 students registered.

"We're offering this class because we think it provides students with a good way to exercise the foundations of computer science on an exciting new platform," associate professor of computer science Mehran Sahami said.

A pilot phase launched Monday and a select number of Stanford students who work in residential computing tested a beta version of the applications on their iPhones.

The applications will have the same security practices and principles that govern the use of computers on campus.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Nice feedback loop - to be able to build useful apps for the uni and also fellow students. Big incentive to work on them, and also they'll likely get good feedback and uptake

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Both campuses that I attend, have had those capabilities on my v1 iPhone and my 3G iPhone, as well as IMAP for my email (March '08). I can add and drop classes, take care of my financial aid package, and set-up EFT to my bank via my iPhone and both campuses intranet have been up and running since October 2007. I don't get it; what's the big deal?:rolleyes:

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Both campuses that I attend, have had those capabilities on my v1 iPhone and my 3G iPhone, as well as IMAP for my email (March '08). I can add and drop classes, take care of my financial aid package, and set-up EFT to my bank via my iPhone and both campuses intranet have been up and running since October 2007. I don't get it; what's the big deal?:rolleyes:
Don't hate because you're not in Stanford or Berkley =)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Don't hate because you're not in Stanford or Berkley =)

Dang, you caught me!:eek: Actually, my baccalaureate degree is from the University of California, Berkeley, so yeah, you pulled my covers. I'm a Stanfuurd hater!:eek: Roll On You Bears...:D

Attachments

• Oski.jpg
    Oski.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 73
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.