Students discount in USA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MathiasDK, Oct 8, 2007.

1. MathiasDK macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm a Danish guy (living in Denmark) who is going to visit my brother in San Francisco this Christmas. I'm planing on purchasing a new MacBook, and I want it as cheap as possible :)

My brother is studying at a university in SF and I was wondering if there was any kind on students discount at the Apple Store for him? In Denmark you can save around 12% if your a student at the university.

Can anyone help me?

Best Regards,

Mathias

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There is a student discount for university students in the United States. :D

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

4. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i used student discount and got $200 off my mbp, a free 4 gb ipod nano, a free printer, and a discount on apple care but can't remember how much that was

5. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

You can get $200 off aa MBP and $100 of applecare,
    there is no discounts for ipods or iphones, its usually stuff a student would need for his education

6. illicium macrumors regular

iPods get discounts too

I got my iPod long before I got my first Mac, and I got student discounts on both. I think I got roughly $50 off my 40 Gb iPod Photo 2-3 years ago, and I got $200 off my MBP 3 weeks ago.

7. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

We are talking about right now and not long before. No more discounts on ipods or iphones.

8. illicium macrumors regular

I wasn't absolutely positive that they still gave iPod discounts, I was just telling my own experience.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

There used to be a discount for students on iPods when the base iPod was priced at $300. However, when the price was lowered to $250, the student discount was done away with. I believe it's been that way for about 18 months or so.

As long as your brother hasn't bought a macbook or macbook pro within this academic year, his discount on it will work. However, I suggest that you not buy Applecare(if you want it at all) within the US, as European laws tend to be better when it comes to warranties.