Students Rejoice!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nick012, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Nick012 macrumors regular

Like many of you I was shocked and apalled by the student 'discount' offered on Leopard. Having lived the last 3 years as a student a large part of my decision to do a masters was the various discounts offered to students (because paying full price for things is horrible).
    However, in the spirit of trying not to pay for anything at all I ventured into an on campus PC room to check the apple HE store through the uni network. Lo and behold! £58.20 as opposed to £75 from off campus. I guess Apple were pissed off with on students using the HE store.
    Apologies if this has already been posted, I'm too lazy to search.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

So you are saying that HE education discount is more than the Education Discount. You can access the HE store from outside campus if you VPN in BTW.

3. davidchan100 macrumors newbie

Details

Could you please give some more detail please?

Is every University's intranet can buy in cheaper price, or i have to be a particular one?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

As far as I'm aware it is every UNi in the UK gets the same price of £58.75

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While I appalled you sharing your findings I find it hilarious that the savings you get on buying things as a student is somehow so beneficial that it is worth the price of a Master's degree. I do not know about you but the ratio of cost savings as a student to the cost of my Master's degree is very much weighted towards the Master's degree. In other words, spending $40k on a degree so I do not have to pay full price for some goods is hardly a benefit in my case. Now my earning power is indeed a benefit and does indeed exceed $40k over a two-year time period; the time it took to complete the degree. That is the real benefit.

However, I was neither shocked nor appalled but a bit surprised at the student discount pricing for the new OS. I believed in some way that of the many benefits of using a Mac one of them was the affordability of their OS and the ease of purchase as opposed to the half dozen plus choices you have to make when you want to buy a copy of Vista.

I will say this though, if you're considering HE purely for the discounts then I would reconsider the decision if you were too lazy to do a search. ;) And yes, I am kidding and not meaning to offend you. :p

6. Nick012 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, obviously I'm not really doing my MA for the discounts on various goods and services. I was just being facetious.

7. Siroc macrumors newbie

My school is also offering a reduced price for leopard. It's $69 instead of the $116 or whatever it is on the official site. If you have an Apple Store/Presence on your campus, I'd recommend contacting them and seeing if they have a deal!

8. 61132 Guest

I ordered my Leopard off of apple.com but at the special section for my school. When I ordered price was 116, just got an email, I'm being charged 69! (to my iphone store credit:) )

9. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

I just pre-ordered a Leopard disc with my sons Edu discount for $116. Looks like a real nice deal. I especially like the back up feature. Hope it's easy to install.:apple: