Studio display connection problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dzynmkr, May 26, 2008.

1. Dzynmkr macrumors newbie

Say it isn't so!
    I recently bought a Power Mac G4, replaced the hard drive and bought a 17" studio display for it. Now, I am having major connection issues. The back of the computer has 2 FEMALE connectors. One I believe is VGA - 15 holes (3 sets of 5). The other is ADC (or from what I am seeing, possibly AGC) - 24 holes (3 sets of 8) AND 2 horizontal slits and one vertical slit. My monitor is MALE with 30 holes (3 sets of 10) AND a horizontal slit with 2 holes on either side. I have been searching for adapter and cards and can't seem to find exactly what I need. Am I stuck with finding another monitor for my computer? Or will I have to buy a new card AND the adapter? Someone help!

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

The connector on the video card is DVI, a slightly smaller connection that ADC, which is what your display has (Apple Display Connector). Your display also does not have a power cable, meaning it has to get its power from the video card as well. The older Apple displays with ADC carried the video signal, power and USB connectivity over one cable, a very cool design that I wish was still in use.

Anyway, the only way to use your Power Mac with the upgraded retail (non-OEM) card is to pick up a DVI to ADC adaptor. This will allow you to power your display from a regular power outlet, connect to the DVI port on your Power Mac and still be able to use the USB ports on the back of your display. I'm not sure if there's anyone who still sells them, leaving eBay or Amazon as your best bets for finding one. Other than that, you could (assumingly) downgrade your card to an Apple OEM Radeon 9000, which will connect to the display right out of the box.
    Which Power Mac G4 is it? Is there any way you can find out which video card is in it?

3. Dzynmkr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information!

After I posted this, I found out the COMPUTER actually had DVI and the MONITOR was ADC. I found the adapter that I needed at the Apple Store for $100. I tried to find a cheaper option, but no luck. Someone had one on eBay for $30, but it did not have the power supply. I called Apple and confirmed that the power supply was needed for this adapter. You are the first person (after 3 tech support calls!!) that explained about the use of power and why the power supply is necessary. Thanks for the information...now I understand!!

By the way, I have an ATI Rage Pro 128MB card

Dzynmkr

4. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

So in that case, it sounds like you have a Sawtooth G4, meaning that even if you bought a new video card with ADC, it wouldn't be able to power it. Either way, it looks like you're stuck with having to buy the adaptor or buying a new display.