Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Does anyone have any clue where the mic are on the new Studio Display? I've read some reports that it's in the same area as the webcam, but I can't find any confirmation of this, and I don't see any obvious holes in that area, except for the fan grill.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
C88DBB74-2645-4753-83EA-32AF22615A8F.png
Yes they are indeed located in the top of the display, near the webcam. They are probably hidden in one of the multiples speakers/vent holes

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Does anyone have any clue where the mic are on the new Studio Display? I've read some reports that it's in the same area as the webcam, but I can't find any confirmation of this, and I don't see any obvious holes in that area, except for the fan grill.
There's a little hole in the back.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I was going to put some two-way adhesive that's removal on top of mine just above the webcam to hold a Logitech Brio webcam. I'm assuming doing this will likely interfere with the microphone?

EDIT: Muffles the microphone on Teams, but seems fine in other areas. I switched to using the Brio microphone. I basically used some reusable two-way tape to hold the magnetic 4K camera onto the aluminum top. Hopefully this is only temporary until Apple fixes the ASD webcam quality and (praying) offers us manual settings ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: jacklivehere

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
I was going to put some two-way adhesive that's removal on top of mine just above the webcam to hold a Logitech Brio webcam. I'm assuming doing this will likely interfere with the microphone?

EDIT: Muffles the microphone on Teams, but seems fine in other areas. I switched to using the Brio microphone. I basically used some reusable two-way tape to hold the magnetic 4K camera onto the aluminum top. Hopefully this is only temporary until Apple fixes the ASD webcam quality and (praying) offers us manual settings ability.

Does this mean the Logitech 4K Pro Magnetic Webcam (originally for Pro Display XDR) doesn’t magnetically mound on the Studio Display?

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Does this mean the Logitech 4K Pro Magnetic Webcam (originally for Pro Display XDR) doesn’t magnetically mound on the Studio Display?
No, it doesn't.

EDIT: For clarification, no the camera doesn't mount magnetically onto the ASD.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
No, it doesn't.

EDIT: For clarification, no the camera doesn't mount magnetically onto the ASD.

Such a bummer! Thank you for letting me know. Deciding now if I should get the non-magnetic version and deal with the clunky clasp mounting mechanism or purchase some magnet adhesive with the magnetic webcam.

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
I was looking into using 4k pro magnet, how is your setup? does it work well with the studio?
also why would you use the display mics doesn't loge 4k pro microphones work well?
Logitech magnetic webcam works great with Studio Display USB-C Ports. But it won't attach magnetically to studio display. My Setup includes small metal bar glued to studio display and. Magnetic webcam attaches to that small metal bar.

But after all studio display webcam firmware updates, webcam quality is getting better. But still not close to Logitech 4k webcam. For now I am using Logitech 4k magnetic webcam, But I think I can live with studio display webcam, if light conditions are good .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 1.18.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 1.18.24 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Benjamin Nabulsi

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2020
Logitech magnetic webcam works great with Studio Display USB-C Ports. But it won't attach magnetically to studio display. My Setup includes small metal bar glued to studio display and. Magnetic webcam attaches to that small metal bar.

But after all studio display webcam firmware updates, webcam quality is getting better. But still not close to Logitech 4k webcam. For now I am using Logitech 4k magnetic webcam, But I think I can live with studio display webcam, if light conditions are good .
That helps alot, does the metal bar blocks off the build in mics? from your experience the build in mics are better than the cam mics or visa versa?

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
That helps alot, does the metal bar blocks off the build in mics? from your experience the build in mics are better than the cam mics or visa versa?
Personally I don't like ASD inbuilt Mic. I use Poll Sync 20 and Zone Wireless Plus, and both are better than ASD inbuilt Mic for Work Conference Calls.

Watching Movies on ASD is different story, ASD Speakers are awesome for Music, Movies.

Reactions: Benjamin Nabulsi

generationfourth

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2017
I have a big BenQ light bar sitting right there atop my ASD (covering the webcam). There is a little hole on the back of the monitor that I was assuming was the mic(s). FWIW I tested the ASD mic, the mic on my MBP, and the one on my Sennheiser Momentum BT headphones and surprisingly the ASD mic sounded the best.

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
I have a big BenQ light bar sitting right there atop my ASD (covering the webcam). There is a little hole on the back of the monitor that I was assuming was the mic(s). FWIW I tested the ASD mic, the mic on my MBP, and the one on my Sennheiser Momentum BT headphones and surprisingly the ASD mic sounded the best.
hm, that makes me think I may have bad mic with my ASD or my Zoom is playing out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.