Studio Display Monitor M2454 Issues.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bogirango, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Bogirango macrumors newbie

I was moving the monitor...perhaps stretched it a bit too far and my PowerMac G4 shut down. The connection of the monitor to the tower came off so I plugged it back in and my subwoofer started to make a steady thudding sound. The G4 would not start up and I reset the CUDA/PMU (perhaps unnecessarily) and disconnected the monitor from the tower.

The tower is now able to power on independently of the monitor....but as soon as I hook up my monitor, it shuts the whole thing down and the thudding sound from the subwoofer comes back. The sound is not present when the monitor is disconnected from the G4 which leads me to think that my problem is with the monitor. I'm not sure what I could have upset or broken....any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Is that the acrylic display with the all-in-one ADC connector? You could have possibly broke an internal wire and it's shorting out the G4 when you connect it back up. I'd try massaging the wire and moving it around, preferably around where it comes out the back of the display and around the connection to the graphics card. See if that has any effect on it's condition.

3. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

I agree. Check if the pins are still also attached too.

4. Bogirango thread starter macrumors newbie

Bang on! One of the pins was shorting out and there was a little damage to the entry points for the pins. A little "massaging" and its now working. Thanks fellows!

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Glad you got it working :). Now try not to tug on cables anymore.