Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lawrensond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
United Kingdom
I bought a Studio display recently and connected it to my 2018 MacBook Pro using the provided thunderbolt cable. All seemed OK at first but occasionally when I woke up my macbook the studio screen became very blocky. See photo.
The only way to fix the problem is to either restart the MacBook or to disconnect the cable and reconnect it.
I contacted Apple and after several phone calls they agreed to replace the studio display because I had only bought it the week before.
The same problem is happening with the new studio display.
I can’t believe there is the same problem with 2 studio displays so it must be something to do with incompatibility between my Macbook and the Studio display or the cable. My MacBook is supposed to be compatible with the Studio display.
I have reformatted my Macbook and installed the latest version of Ventura 13.2 and the problem still exists.
Has anyone seen this problem before or got any suggestions?
David

Attachments

• 9C00918C-382D-4217-8867-0BAD0CAB27DD.jpeg
    9C00918C-382D-4217-8867-0BAD0CAB27DD.jpeg
    342.6 KB · Views: 140

Lawrensond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
United Kingdom
Does it happen with a particular port or any port?

And is the studio display firmware up to date

If yes to above, there might be a problem with your GPU
Thanks for your reply. It has happened when the cable from the studio display has been connected to different ports on my MacBook.
Apple told me the Firmware on the display is automatically updated when running the latest version of IOS which I am.
The problem doesn’t happen if I use my laptop without the Studio display, only when it’s connected.
I could wake up the laptop many times during the day without a problem then suddenly it will happen. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern using my MacBook with the lid closed or open.
If it is the GPU I assume a replacement of the GPU chip is the only option.

Lawrensond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply. It has happened when the cable from the studio display has been connected to different ports on my MacBook.
Apple told me the Firmware on the display is automatically updated when running the latest version of IOS which I am.
The problem doesn’t happen if I use my laptop without the Studio display, only when it’s connected.
I could wake up the laptop many times during the day without a problem then suddenly it will happen. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern using my MacBook with the lid closed or open.
If it is the GPU I assume a replacement of the GPU chip is the only option.
I have just reset the graphics card on my MacBook by pressing option+command+P+R immediately after pressing the power button. Hopefully this will resolve any issues with the GPU. If this doesn't resolve the issue I may have to resort to buying a mac mini to connect to the studio display.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have just reset the graphics card on my MacBook by pressing option+command+P+R immediately after pressing the power button. Hopefully this will resolve any issues with the GPU. If this doesn't resolve the issue I may have to resort to buying a mac mini to connect to the studio display.
From the picture, it looks like you've got an Intel-based 13" MacBook Pro (and it's definitely not an M1 or M2 machine from 2018). Either way, those machines do not have a discrete GPU. They all use integrated graphics built into the Intel processor.

Cmd-Opt-P-R may help on Intel machines, so hopefully that does the trick.

I will say, and this is strictly my personal observation, those who have the most trouble with their Studio Displays are using Intel machines. Might be nothing, but might be something.

Oh, and you should do a quick Google on how to check the firmware version on your Studio Display. While the computer should automatically update the display's firmware, it doesn't simply happen invisibly in the background -- the display goes through an update process like an iPad or an iPhone (since the display runs off an iPad chip). If you didn't notice this happening, it's worth checking to make sure you're on the latest firmware. It's entirely possible you've got the latest already from the factory.

Reactions: Lawrensond

Lawrensond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
United Kingdom
Thanks for your message. My MacBook is intel based. I have found out tonight the the studio display is running the latest firmware. 15.5.
Even after using the cmd+opt+P+R function the problem still happened earlier after waking up the MacBook from sleep.
It’s strange because when the MacBook lid is open only the studio display is affected when woken up from sleep, but if the lid is closed both are affected when I lift the lid after it’s happened to check the MacBook screen.
I’m currently testing my new work computer with the studio display. The laptop is a Microsoft windows based HP elite book. I’ve woken it up about 20 times without a problem so far. This doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a MacBook fault because it can do the same thing. I will keep testing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.