Studio monitors speakers question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by conamor, Nov 14, 2014.

1. conamor macrumors 6502

conamor

Hello everyone,

I was wondering, I would like to replace my Logitech z2300 with a better pair of speakers.

I also have M-Audio AV40 studio monitors.

I was looking at the AudioEngine A5+.

Will they be better than both of my speakers for recording music, voice for television and listening to music?

Thank you!

2. maplingstorie macrumors 6502

honestly, no one can help you decide which is better. It's only whether it works for you. Some think that KRKs are better than Yamahas or the other way around. Only way you can decide is to go out there and test them out yourself. If you want to play safe, (Higher price = Better quality). ;)

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

To make a noticeable jump in sound quality you have to get some speakers that are very much physically larger than the Logitech or AV40. Both of those are way to small. You should be looking at 6" speakers that are about a foot tall. Place them on stands so the tweeters are exactly at ear level and place them so your head and the two speakers make an even triangle. Then worry about the room itself, kill any reflections and make it non-symmetrical, maybe even turning the desk at 30 degree to the walls and puling it out from a wall. The room matters a lot. Look for speakers that go down to about 60Hz and don't depend on the sub to do that. Use a sub-woofer only or the low bass below 60Hz. You r ears can't find the direction of sounds that low.

As for brand. Don't worry so much about that. Size and weight says a lot and bigger/heaver is better. In fact if budget is a factor look at brands like Samson. Good second their brands are a good value.

But do NOT discount passive speakers. There are good passive studio monitors out there and you can buy a 100W amp and hide it under the desk something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00026BQJ6