Studio Monitors vs Hifi Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Johng0404, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Johng0404 macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy some new speakers to link up to my Macbook Pro and also my Technics turntable. I have been looking at the KRK Rokit 5 Powered Studio Monitors. I am leaning towards these as they are powered so they don't need external amplification, but also due to the large amount of positive reviews they have had. I will be using these in a home listening environment however and seen as they are studio monitors are they ok for home use?. I have read a lot about them being "near-field" monitors so if I postion them around my front room like you would with hi-fi speakers will they still sound impressive, or will I need to be sat right in-front of them?. Also, how would I connect them and my turntable to my Macbook Pro?

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

From your post it would seem to me that you would be better off with a separate amplifier and traditional hifi speakers. If you do your research when looking around the second hand market you could end up with great sound for a few hundred dollars. You'll need a phono preamp unless your turntable has standard level RCA output. Most older amps have a phono input.

http://best-turntables.com/choosing-a-turntable-preamp/

I prefer the sound of studio equipment myself, but i think it is an acquired taste and most people would prefer the lusher more forgiving sound of normal home audio.

3. zalo macrumors newbie

Get those KRKs but you should also get sub to go along with them. Near field just has to do with the fact that you can sit close to them and hear their full range. If you aren't mixing/mastering then it doesn't matter where you place them. You are going to need some sort of audio interface if you want to hook up your turntable to you MBP and your MBP to the monitors.

4. Johng0404 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks, Do you have the KRKs or any monitors?, just wondering what your opinion of them is. If you do have them do you use them for general home listening?. Also, can you recommend any good audio interface for around the £50 mark. From what I understand the audio interface helps me connect the monitors to the MBP and I connect my turntable to the MBP using the Line In like I do now, is this correct?