Studio Monitors - What speakers are you using?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dpavid, Jun 28, 2014.

1. dpavid macrumors regular

I need to get a good set of studio monitors for editing. Something very good but not ridiculous as I am not an audio engineer. I am considering Adam Studio Monitors as my first choice so far, possibly JBL or Tannoy. Genelec be nice to have, but no real need for it to justify the price point.

What are you guys using? What would you recommend? Also, how are you controlling volume? Mixer, computer, etc.

Last, how are you getting your signal out of your Mac Pro? BMD thunderbolt I/O?

Interested to see how others are doing it?

2. dpavid thread starter macrumors regular

3. azpekt macrumors regular

4. dpavid thread starter macrumors regular

Another great choice.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

You're going to laugh but these work well: Samson Resolve

They no longer make my model but the ones most like it are the Samson Resolve SE6. They are set up about 30" inches away of either side of my 27" screen. They are on stands so the tweeter is ear level. (I use a concrete block as a stand, I think the weight helps and they cost 90 cents each. The entire desk is out from the wall abut 3 feet and tilted about 15 degrees so the monitor screen's surface is not parallel to anything else int eh room. There is tons of natural "delusion" all around.

WHY do I talk about speaker placement and the room? Because that matters a LOT more than the brand of speaker. Bt thinks like if you place them on the desk of 8" about on a stand, f the stand is flimsy or solid concrete or if there is a wall in back of your head. Speakers toed in, or facing forward matters are they even with the screen or just in back or just in front. ALL this matters more then the brand. Well, assuming they are half way decent speakers.