Studiophile AV 40 vs. my Hi-Fi??

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by jon08, Aug 19, 2010.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I'm no expert in sound, but I do have an ear for music and appreciate clear and crispy sound. I currently have a Hi-fi - Philips FWM35/22 (http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/f/fwm35_22/fwm35_22__fp_.jpg), but I don't really know if I would benefit at all if I purchased Studiophile AV 40 to replace it?

Here's the main characteristics of my current Hi-Fi:

2x30W RMS / 2x60W Music Power (Studiophile is 2x40W from what I understand? What is 2x60W "Music Power" anyway?)
    2-Way Bass Reflex System
    3-step Dynamic Bass Boost Digital Sound Control

Speakers:

2 way, 2" tweeter, 5.25" woofer, Bass Reflex Speaker System

Oh, and let me add that I connect the Hi-fi to my MBP through AUX to play music from my laptop.

So the question is, will the sound be better with the above-mentioned M-Audio Studiophile? Should I even bother, or will it be about the same?

Thanks in advance!

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Specifications more or less mean nothing when it comes to speakers.

The only thing you can do really is compare them side by side, or see if you can get a pair of AV40s on demo (highly unlikely).

FWIW, I really don't think anything of the AV40s. You're better off saving up decent money to buy decent speakers (which start at considerably more than the AV40s), or buying a decent old-fashioned 1980s hifi (which can be bought very cheaply, and will often outperform anything this side of £250).

3. RHELF macrumors member

Agreed 100% with Killyp. Specs like wattage don't necessarily mean anything. Look at frequency response but most importantly, listen for yourself!

That being said, I also don't think much of the AV 40's. Not to trash them, but they are nothing more than decent computer speakers. Not studio Monitors. I'm not saying you need to spend $1000 but decent monitors are going to run you in the $300-400 ballpark(see KRK, Samson, Yamaha HS50).

Be careful with your Hi-Fi. Not recommended to use general stereo systems for mixing. You will not get an accurate mix. Use monitors and headphones. THEN take it to the stereo systems, car stereos, friends' houses etc.