Study Finds AT&T and Verizon Have Slower LTE Speeds After Launching Unlimited Data Plans

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In its semi-annual State of Mobile Networks report this week, OpenSignal claims that both AT&T and Verizon have experienced a decline in 4G LTE speeds since each carrier reintroduced an unlimited data plan in February. OpenSignal blames the slowdown on an increase in data demand now that caps have been removed.

[​IMG]

From April through June, AT&T's average LTE download speed was 12.92 Mbps, while Verizon averaged 14.91 Mbps, according to crowdsourced data from thousands of users with the OpenSignal app for iOS or Android.

By comparison, OpenSignal's last report measured average LTE speeds for AT&T and Verizon at 13.86 Mbps and 16.89 Mbps respectively, based on crowdsourced data collected from 169,683 users with the OpenSignal app for iOS or Android installed between October 1 and December 31, 2016.

August 2017 Report

AT&T: 12.92 Mbps
    Verizon: 14.91 Mbps
    Sprint: 9.76 Mbps
    T-Mobile: 17.45 Mbps
    February 2017 Report

AT&T: 13.86 Mbps
    Verizon: 16.89 Mbps
    Sprint: 8.99 Mbps
    T-Mobile: 16.65 Mbps
    T-Mobile was declared as the fastest network in the United States during the testing period. The carrier's average LTE speed was 17.45 Mbps, up from 16.65 Mbps in OpenSignal's last report. Sprint's average LTE speed also rose to 9.76 Mbps, up from 8.99 Mbps in the previous study.

AT&T or Verizon remained the fastest network in select U.S. cities, including Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Diego, and San Francisco.

OpenSignal says its data is collected from regular consumer smartphones and recorded under conditions of normal usage, be it indoors, outdoors, in a city, or in the countryside. For this particular report, it said 5,073,211,200 data points were collected from 172,919 users between April 1 and June 30, 2017.

Article Link: Study Finds AT&T and Verizon Have Slower LTE Speeds After Launching Unlimited Data Plans

2. dmcwally macrumors member

All networks need to stop being slum lords and actually invest in there capacity nationwide. Then this would not even be an issue. And sprint needs to invest in their coverage.

3. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

OK, now take some of those profits from the monthly fees and use it to upgrade your networks. This is how competition is supposed to work. Oh, by the way, you might have to pay your executives a little bit less.

4. Bunke101 macrumors newbie

This study brought to you by AT&T and Verizon...

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

TMobile continues to impress me. More and more they are growing and expanding coverage.

6. xpxp2002 macrumors member

They're too busy spending that cash lobbying to end net neutrality so they can charge even more for the same service/access you get today...

7. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

8. lyngo macrumors 6502

Do you have a source for this information?

9. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Why would AT&T and Verizon have their hands dirty with a story claiming their networks have become slower?

10. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Unless the FCC gives them more frequency to use, there is nothing they can do.

11. brendu macrumors 68020

The real takeaway here is that once again tmobile is the best carrier toward customers. Not that anyone should be surprised.

12. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

So average speed with all carriers is around 13mb/s...

13. itsjordieduh macrumors newbie

itsjordieduh

I love T-Mobile! Although I live in a city with great coverage so I can't speak for everyone.

14. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

Was on Verizon for a decade and switched to T-mobile two years ago. Amazing pricing, coverage keeps getting better (didn't have reception at my office when I first signed up, now I have full LTE there) but it's so cheap and you get so much more for your money. I've tried to go over my 10GB PER LINE and 20GB data pool PER LINE. I don't even know how I could use 30GB of data when Netflix and Apple Music doesn't count against data anyways. Happy to see them doing well.

15. Bunke101 macrumors newbie

First of all it was sarcasm and secondly, seriously? Do I really need to point out that they can use this study as "proof" that unlimited data is bad...

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Not surprising. I've noticed that Verizon took at hit since earlier this year.

17. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

I'm super happy with T-Mobile. And it's going to be so good when 600 MHz is lit up later this year. Super coverage.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd rather take a 2Mbps speed hit and have unlimited data. The existing speeds I get are still more than fast enough to stream HD content.

19. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

The supply of critical thinking is clearly not unlimited.

Forgive me for answering for Joe, but no, I'm sure he wasn't being sarcastic, and yes, he's being serious. Why would AT&T and Verizon pay for a news story that shows there service quality has gotten worse? Seriously, can you answer that question?

Don't let your disdain for these two companies turn off your brains, people.

20. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

Compared to revenue and the type of infrastructure investment you're talking about, executive comp is nothing.

21. kyleh22 macrumors 6502

kyleh22

T-Mobile and Virgin are the best. Google Fi is on point as well if you don't have an apple phone. AT&T and Verizon have gorged their customers for too long. There is finally some serious competition.

22. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

The differences in those numbers is not statistically significant. One person can run the same test and get differing numbers from minute to minute. They measure average usage and while it's a lot of data points the data points between tests in Feb and Aug are different. For the vast majority of people it does't matter.

I sit here at my desk in Silicon Valley and I just ran a speed test on Verizon.
    I am getting a 23ms Ping, 70.26 Mbps down and 26.18 Mbps up.
    Next test 26ms, 78.12Mbps, 25.77Mbps.

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

If that were the case, why did T-Mobile's speed increase... they offer unlimited data as well.

24. Cam Johnson, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

Cam Johnson macrumors regular

Cam Johnson

I switched to T-Mobile almost 2 years ago and got ok speeds and coverage. I've watched both speed and coverage increase a lot in that time frame, now I've gotten as high as 205 Mbps at my house (I average 100+ no matter time of day). It's twice as fast as my fiber line, so I never even turn on Wi-Fi anymore. Yeah, I'm glad I switched. :)

25. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Ok, my house..... flat state, 2 miles form the beach in metro area. I would kill for those speeds :) IMG_6965.PNG