Study finds iPhone texting 2x slower than QWERTY

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wako, Aug 17, 2007.

1. wako macrumors 65816

CLICK HERE FOR STORY!
    CLICK HERE FOR ORIGINAL PRESS RELEASE

before you guys come out tear me to shreds, read the article. The test was tested soon after the release so the guinea pigs didnt have time to get use to it yet. So if they tested these people again, maybe say now, maybe they wouldnt be as slow.

They did say they will be conducting further tests and results will be posted in the coming weeks. :)

2. The General macrumors 601

Maybe it's true for other people, but not only do I type faster on my iPhone than any other phone... but my iPhone has a QWERTY. :rolleyes:

3. edmartin macrumors member

In a related study, iPhone users have 5-6 times as more fun using their device than any other previous phone or PDA. :cool:

4. fj2007cruiser macrumors member

How retarded and unscientific a test can that be.
    They might as well have taken 85 year olds with hemmorhoids and asked them to describe the comfort of a new couch. :eek::eek::eek:

5. Amblinman macrumors regular

The only dropoff in speed I've noticed coming from a BB is that I don't fully "trust' the iPHone's keyboard, so I'm more deliberate than I would normally be. I notice when I'm writing a note and just "go for it", I'm shocked at how there are zero errors in the final product. It's just a matter of training yourself to really trust the keyboard.

6. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

7. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

I find texting pretty fast. I find typing fast in general, as long as the spell correction feature feel like working.

8. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I wasn't aware it was slower.

I will rush out right now and return my iPhone.

After all, the only reason I bought an iPhone was so I could type more quickly.

9. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I actually had a 'race' with a friend on a BB on the 3rd day I had the iPhone, and he had been on a BB for at least a year. We pretty much tied, and now almost 2 months into the iPhone, I feel like I'm so much faster. I need to call my buddy for a re-match....

Dustin, are you hearing me...? Rematch?

10. beate macrumors regular

Ok - my 2 cents.

Never read so many posts in one thread that I agreed with. Way to go guys.

(except Sobe - yours just made me chuckle)

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It may be 2x slower, but at least your texts don't make it look like your a 15 year old girl

ef u no wht im sayn

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I suck at texting on my iphone. Especially while driving. I almost wish apple would fill the screen with a number keypad so I could text without having to look.

13. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

on one hand i prefer a keyboard where i can actually feel the buttons, on the other hand it is responses like this where i think the iPhone keyboard is much better.

That said, the human race the way it is right now, it is more important to text than focos on driving, que the first iphone texting related accident in 5...4... 3...

Those 5 cheerleaders in NY state would still be alive if the inexperienced teen driver wasn't texting while driving her vehicle into oncoming traffic.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You text while driving? :eek: Not safe. You should be demoted to Lieutenant Underpants. ;)

15. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

It sounds to me like some random people got an iphone and were asked to use it...I just skimmed the article but someone who actually read it may fix my mistake? I type like 5x faster then i did on my old Pebl, razr, and all my friends phones that i have used, including the sidekicks.

16. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm not gonna lie... I do text while driving. From the day I started driving, the two have been coupled. With my old phone, I barely had to look. But now it's more difficult.

I think successfully multitasking deserves a promotion! :D

17. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

You can be promoted to the fact that your still alive. :D

18. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Thankfully you don't live in the same state as me so I feel a little safer driving around town.

Oh.. I know _you_ can "handle" it.

19. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

But that promotion is taken back due to the lack of any regard for anyone else's safety.

Is that text message worth killing a family? It can happen in the blink of an eye.

Sorry it is just a MAJOR pet peeve of mine to see others doing all types of stuff while driving.

20. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I really don't think it matters how fast other people are, its all about your speed.

Some people are fast with a normal phone, I'm not so I went iPhone/Smartphone

22. samwich macrumors regular

well if someone did a study on it, with a whopping sample size of 20, then it must be true!

23. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I actually plugged in my Natural ergonomic keyboard thru the Iphones USB port so I can text way faster.
    Now I can text at 60 words per minute :D

24. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

Is this even possible?

25. slidingjon macrumors member

No, it's not possible. There is no male usb to 30 pin adapter!

Anyways. There is always iphonetypingtest.com I scored 48 wpm! Learn to trust the corrections!