Studying Abroad in London, can iPhone go with me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adibear, May 22, 2011.

1. adibear macrumors newbie

Hi!

Okay, so starting in September I will be studying abroad in London until June 2012. My dad, who is on AT&T, has the iPhone 4, but he also has an extra iPhone 3GS that he's not using. He's willing to let me take the 3GS with me to London. Problem is, I only want the phone for local calling/texting in London, not to call home to the US, so I don't want anything to do with AT&T's international data plans. It's not really important to me to use data at all. I just figured that I have a phone that no one is using, might as well take it with me rather than getting one in London. With all that said, would I be able to unlock/jailbreak the iPhone, and buy a pay as you go SIM card in London? Also, how would I go about unlocking it?

Thanks!

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Check to see if the bb is 5.13.xx or below. If not, you'll have to jb with redsn0w and install the ipad 6.15 bb. Then install ultrasn0w via cydia and it will be unlocked

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

3. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

You can get awesome PAYG tariffs here in London as well, I mean Giffgaff here offer 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet for just topping up £10 a month, it practically works as a contract sim but you can top up the months you want and stuff. Don't know much about the jailbreaking/unlocking and stuff, but keep Giffgaff in mind if you want a cheap option here in London.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Agreed, in the UK the prepaid plans are very good. You can get a cheap phone for under $20 and get good rates.

However, I would still take the iphone 3GS with you, whether or not you unlock it. Sign up for a gmail/google voice account and download the free talkatone app so you can call back to the US for free over wifi, and also use skype to call elsewhere around the world for a decent rate.

5. Solange82200 macrumors regular

Im pretty sure you can work something out, that is what I love about sim card phones : ) By the way, you are SOOOO lucky! I would kill to even visit London, and you get to live there for a bit! Post pics please if you have time :D

6. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Agree with all of the comments above. Hopefully the 3GS is able to be JB'en and UL'ed. Do NOT update the firmware if you plug it in into iTunes now so that you can preserve the baseband in order to unlock it. UK PAYG are really nice from my 2 visits there and the 3G speed is also great.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

May even want to check London's Craigslist for an iPhone there.

8. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Which I assume here is GumTree.

9. dontwalkhand, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/

I typed in iPhone 4 as I would search on the Phoenix Craigslist and found plenty. You'll be in good hands.