Studying Abroad Worth It?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by theturtle, Jan 5, 2012.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Hello,

wanted to get some opinions. Im currently a senior in college right now. I can either finish up school by the summer and then start my LSAT studies and just walk in December or I could go abroad for spring semester (aka next month) but I would have to do a final semester in fall beause my school requires your last 15 or so to be done at your home school. So in other words, going abroad would delay the time i would finish school by a semester. I would walk in december regardless.

The issue is, one, i would be paying for a semester I really dont need just so i can meet the requirements of "your last 15 at your school", two, I would have to work to pass classes that i really don't need (semi based off point one), three, it does delay me back a semester, four, even though my parents are quite well off I feel somewhat guilty making them pay double tuition (for my abroad school and my last semester).

the silver lining is that the cost of going abroad is about 8k while staying here is about 6. So I would be just paying 8k more than finishing by summer.

the pros of going abroad is that its my last chance to do this. i could travel but thats not the same as actually going for undergrad and meeting now people, once in a life time opportunity, and can experience independence (I only dormed one semester out of my whole college career so i've been some what sheltered. this is partially a reason why im having such a hard time deciding)

The deadline to pay is tomorrow and i've been stressed about this decision to no end. any help? insight? advice?

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Absolutely worth it. It looks good on a resume, give you a chance to broaden your perspective and get a good taste of your host country.

Do it.

3. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

even at the cost of going to school one more semester?

im a person that overanalyzes which leaves me, most timese, very uncertain about alot of things.

the thing that nags at me is that fact that my parents would have to pay for that "unnecessary semester." I was fortunate enough to be blessed where i don't need to pay loans, apply for scholarships, or have a job to pay tuition so I feel a bit guilty making my parents pay for more school. I even feel guilty that I didn't graduate earlier with all the summer/winter classes i did. at the same time, i do want to spread my wings (as corny as that sounds) and experience the world. but my guilt and fear is holding me back. im afraid that the deadline will pass tomorrow and i'll go back to the same routine of wake up, drive to school (i commute), classes, go home, hw, sleep.

also, thanks for your reply :)

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You should go.

The only time you should consider the benefits is if you're going to study abroad instead of going on an internship.

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Where would you travel to, and what would you do?

I spent a month at a French technical university as part of my degree - and it was challenging and a load of fun. If you're going somewhere with a foreign language involved, bear in mind that you'd probably need 6 months+ to start becoming comfortable in it. That was my one regret about going for so short a time.

If you don't do this, then consider taking that 8k and travelling internationally for 3-6 months after graduation.

6. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

im korean and going to korea. i figured theres no better place to be proficient in my language than my own country (i was born and raised here).

7. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Go.

I regretted not going during undergrad, but now I'm spending my summer in china for grad school.

It's an experience you'll never get another chance to have.

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

In which case, hell yeah.

South Korea is a fantastic place to strengthen your ties with. Growing economy, new US free trade agreement, the future is bright! If you study there, you'll have a network of people you know, which will help if you ever think of getting a job there.

I'd go just for the Kimchi and K-Pop! :D

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yes definitely GO GO GO!!!

You never know what twists and turns your life will take. I'm sure you have a plan and looking towards rewarding goals in the future. The only problem with that is that can't be sure of the course our life will take with any certainty.

If you have the opportunity now, take it. You won't regret it and will gain a life experience that few can achieve.

Go and have fun, learn, meet new people and enjoy yourself. The extra time and effort will be well worth it and rewarding.

10. summitRun macrumors regular

I hope you decide to go. Speaking as someone who had opportunities to study in Europe on numerous occasions and didnt...I can tell you its something I have regretted for most of my adult life. There is no yesterday only whats in front of you. My guess is it will change your life in a way you cant quite understand until you are down the road a bit. The opportunities to do things like this can be fleeting and once you get established into a career its very hard to reverse course. I would never tell someone what to do but I hope you will give it very strong consideration

11. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Do it, it looks good on the CV (although a work placement is better ;)) and you will most likely have the cultural experience of a life time that you may otherwise never get to do again.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Absol-freakin'-lutely! GO.

I made the decision to go abroad, and don't regret it at all. In fact, I loved it, I went back a second time! I was lucky that it actually shortened my time at uni than anything. All of the courses I took overseas went directly towards my degree, and didn't have to worry about any of those general education requirements that you would have to deal with in the US.

It went like this; Where I was (Australia), they handle a lot of those Gen. Ed. requirements during their high school, so you wouldn't have to have them in college. That puts your university classes strictly towards your degree; you could walk out with a Bachelor's degree in 2 1/2 years in your field of study, whereas in the US, it could take you 4 - 6 years, if not longer.

Let's say you and 3 friends of yours go into the same major, but you went overseas. While your friends get those gen. ed. requirements out of the way while starting on their degree courses (taking roughly 2 years), you get your degree because you got the courses required for it. You come back to the USA their sophomore or Junior year in college as a college graduate, ready to get started on your Master's degree. You just took a 2 - 3 year leap ahead of your friends because you went overseas.

Add in the cultural experience, and you have something that is priceless.

BL.

13. 184550 Guest

Do it. You will not regret it.

I studied abroad twice during undergrad. Both were fantastic experiences.

I'd recommend looking at a study abroad session that includes an internship (or similar employment experience) and classes.