Studying in Spain

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macnewbie13, Mar 4, 2008.

1. macnewbie13 macrumors member

Hi all, I will be studying abroad in Spain come the fall, and I was wondering what I should do about getting an adapter for my MacBook Pro? I know there is a thread for someone going to Germany, but I didn't know if I would need something different for Spain or not. I know that they use different voltages over there (220 vs. US 120) but I didn't know if I should buy the Apple adapter package, a generic one from like Best Buy or wherever they sell them, or wait to get to Spain to buy one. Thanks!

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I'm not the expert on this, but I'd say don't wait til you get to Spain. It would suck to get there and not be able to find one.

Maybe you could try calling Apple and asking their advice.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Spain has the exact same electrical system as Germany. For the MacBook Pro all you need is a plug shape adapter that you can get for under $5 at many electronics resellers and often times in airport shops.

4. macnewbie13 thread starter macrumors member

Great! Thanks Yippy!

5. kineticx macrumors newbie

kineticx

Buy the Travel Adapter before you go to Spain

all countries in the EU, including Spain, use 220V...

get the travel adapter kit before you go to Spain...the online apple store has it...

make sure your MBP power supply can handle the 220V...

read the reviews - this one in particular:

Explanation: Adapter vs Converter
    Written by DA
    January 22, 2006
    Some Apple power adapters are rated 110-240V which means that they will work around the world. The only limitation is the physical connection on the adapter. This is why Apple offers the World Travel Adapter Kit. With this kit it is possible to physically plug into virtually any wall socket in the world.

There are several people reporting here that they have fried their Apple device when "using" the WTA kit. This probably means that they had a power adapter rated for 110v ONLY and plugged it into a 240v source/socket. I bet they also fried the power adapter.

So, be careful. Read the spec on the side of your power adapter. If it says 110-240v, and you have been successfully using the adapter in the U.S., then you shoud be able to use the adapter elsewhere around the world. Use the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit to make the plug physically compatible with the country you are visiting.

Have fun in Spain! :D
    I spent three weeks in Spain and Portugal this past summer - where will you be studying?

6. macnewbie13 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. I'll be at the University of Salamanca. I heard that it is one of the prettiest cities in Spain, I can't wait!

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Up to the beginning of last year i lived in spain and have walked past the uni you mention,
    salamanca is nice and there are loads of nice places in spain. I lived in a town called
    guardamar del segura which is about 20 mins out of Alicante on the costa blanca

8. macnewbie13 thread starter macrumors member

very cool, I keep hearing wonderful things about Spain, it just makes me want to go now and not wait until August!