Stuffit Destinations for Garageband files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dmr3, Feb 22, 2011.

1. dmr3 macrumors newbie

I've been looking for a good solution for sending and receiving large garageband files back and forth with some friends of mine. These music files are to large for our gmail accounts. Would a program of this type (stuffit Destinations) in the app store do the trick?

My only other solid option thus far would be to purchase a pogo personal cloud storage device.

Simply purchasing a program that will compress the files and send them like stuffit seems like a better approach.

Thoughts..

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Stuffit or any similar compression apps will not work too well on Garageband projects since they contain audio, which only really compresses well using lossy compression like MP3.

Garageband has a built-in function to save projects with compressed audio (at least on GB '08), which you can access from the Save as dialogue box. I just tried it and it compressed a 130 MB project to 9.8 MB. This might be the easiest solution unless you need to share full-quality projects with each other.

3. AnnaS macrumors newbie

Jackerin is right that you won't get much compression on music files, including the built-in compressors in GarageBand. It will be lossy in either case, which may not be what you and your friends want, especially if you are working on the project together. However if your big concern is getting these files to your buddies, StuffIt Destinations can still be helpful. You will still get some compression plus the ability to easily post files to ftp sites, MobileMe, or SendStuffNow.

You can go to http://www.stuffit.com/mac-stuffit.html for a free 30day trial and see if it will work for you before you shell out nay money.