Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonBot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Hello, I'm having a problem with Stuffit Expander. Whenever I try to open a compressed file Stuffit launches and then instantly crashes. I tried repairing permissions but the problem still occurs. I'm on 10.4.3 and I updated to the latest version from the Stuffit website but still have the problem. I can post the crash log if needed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

DonBot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
mad jew said:
Try deleting com.stuffit.Expander.plist from your Preferences folder. :)

Deleted that but still have the same problem. Thanks though.:)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
DonBot said:
Hello, I'm having a problem with Stuffit Expander. Whenever I try to open a compressed file Stuffit launches and then instantly crashes. I tried repairing permissions but the problem still occurs. I'm on 10.4.3 and I updated to the latest version from the Stuffit website but still have the problem. I can post the crash log if needed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I've had that happen on occasion, and was usually able to get around it by using a different version of Stuffit (for years I kept 6.5 around for just this purpose). You might see if you can find an older version and try that on the file.

L

Lau

HiRez said:
I've had that happen on occasion, and was usually able to get around it by using a different version of Stuffit (for years I kept 6.5 around for just this purpose). You might see if you can find an older version and try that on the file.

Yeah, I've had the same problem for a while. When I download a zipped file, if I double click to unzip nothing happens. But if I right click and select "Open With" and choose the older version, it works fine. I've never managed to work out why this is happening.

DonBot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
HiRez said:

I downloaded Stuffit Expander 9.02 and thankfully it worked. Thanks for your help!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.