Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
I just have a simple question:

Is Stuffit Expander the Mac Equivalant of WinZip (for windows)

and is Stuffit Expander the only Mac UnZipper ?

cheers

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Stuffit Expander is one of many un-archivers. And not even a good one. I only keep it around for those rare occasions where a sit file is the only available choice...

For regular zip files just use OS X' built-in BOMArchiveHelper.app (should be a choice if you right/ctrl-click a zip or tgz file, and you can hold down the option (alt) key to get the Always Open With... option, or you could use the Info window, i.e. mark a zip file and hit cmd-I and use the Open With option and Change All button there), and for rar files I like UnRarX.

...then there's always the Terminal... ;)

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I'd definitely use The Unarchiver over StuffIt anyday. Unless you have an express need for the .sitx format, TU wins every time, IMO.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Another vote here for The Unarchiver. You can't even download StuffIt Expander without giving those jerks your email address. Of course when you give them your email address you automatically sign up for their spam email.

StuffIt can go stuff it as far as I'm concerned.

The Unarchiver is free and open source.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I just have a simple question:

Is Stuffit Expander the Mac Equivalant of WinZip (for windows)
Stuffit Expander can expland most archive formats. WinZip is designed to handle Zip archives.
and is Stuffit Expander the only Mac UnZipper ?

Most definitely not. First off, Stuffit Expander handles many archive formats, not just .zip. It's primary format is Stuffit's own .sit and .sitx formats. MacOS X has the built-in BOMArchive Helper to unZip .zip archives. As others have mentioned, The Unarchiver is available. Like Stuffit Expander, it handles multiple archive formats. For more than a decade, shareware utility ZipIt has been available for Mac users who want to create and decompress .zip archives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.