Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I just downloaded a no cd crack for sim city 4 and it needs to be unstuffed. Everytime i double click the file to be unstuffed, stuffit expander opens but never does anything becasue it always says program not responding. Is there any other program i can use?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
JzzTrump22 said:
I just downloaded a no cd crack for sim city 4 and it needs to be unstuffed. Everytime i double click the file to be unstuffed, stuffit expander opens but never does anything becasue it always says program not responding. Is there any other program i can use?

That isn't discussed here, unless I misunderstood your post.

If you want help with stuffit files and expander, you could repost without mentioning the download of sim city, and you might get a better response.

If I'm off base, I apologize.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
You mis uderstood. I downloaded the crack to allow me to play with no cd and thats whats not unstuffing.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Dawg:

i.e., it's a program mod to allow you to play a game presumably already purchased without needing the CD in the tray - a nice option.

jsw

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
JzzTrump22 said:
You can try re-downloading the free expander app (or re-installing it if you have the installer). I am assuming it's a Mac .sit or similar file. Also assuming it is not a .sitx you are trying to decompress on OS 9.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
jsw said:
Dawg:

i.e., it's a program mod to allow you to play a game presumably already purchased without needing the CD in the tray - a nice option.

jsw

I see...
Sorry, that's why I said that I might have misunderstood the post.

I'm not a gamer... at all. :eek:

Thanks for the insight!
(and shouldn't you be outside working on that honey-do list jsw?)

Woof, Woof - Dawg

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
emw said:
You can try re-downloading the free expander app (or re-installing it if you have the installer). I am assuming it's a Mac .sit or similar file. Also assuming it is not a .sitx you are trying to decompress on OS 9.

The file is a .sit file. For some reason, stuffit expander just keeps bouncing and never opens. My only option is to force quit it. I'm going to try unstuffing something else. If that doesn't work then i'm going to re-download the program.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
JzzTrump22 said:
You mis uderstood. I downloaded the crack to allow me to play with no cd and thats whats not unstuffing.

We dont discuss illegal things here, such as cracks (even it might be legal in some contries)
If you own Simcity, then use toast to make a diskimage of the simcity cd.
Mount the disk image instead of the CD. You might have to lock the image.

-tb

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
JzzTrump22 said:
The file is a .sit file. For some reason, stuffit expander just keeps bouncing and never opens. My only option is to force quit it. I'm going to try unstuffing something else. If that doesn't work then i'm going to re-download the program.

I've had similar problems with .sit files in the past.
The problem may not be with Stuffit Expander, but with the .sit file itself.

Try downloading another crack and try that!
Sometimes they can be corrupted I suppose.

BTW, hope you understood that I misunderstood.
No harm, no foul :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
cluthz said:
We dont discuss illegal things here, such as cracks (even it might be legal in some contries)
If you own Simcity, then use toast to make a diskimage of the simcity cd.
Mount the disk image instead of the CD. You might have to lock the image.

-tb

Learning a lot today about gaming! :eek:

Think I'll go back to the dawghouse and not stick my nose in where I don't know what I'm talking about!

Thanks for the clarification cluthz

Woof, Woof - Dawg

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
cluthz said:
We dont discuss illegal things here, such as cracks...
You're right.

I saw them (cracks) as being a bit different if I own the game already and it allows me to avoid copy protection - I hate having to worry about the disk being in the tray. But, agreed, you're correct - it's illegal. Not to be discussed here.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
jsw said:
You're right.

I saw them (cracks) as being a bit different if I own the game already and it allows me to avoid copy protection - I hate having to worry about the disk being in the tray. But, agreed, you're correct - it's illegal. Not to be discussed here.

I think most companies put in their license agreements that the code of the game is not to be reworked, changed, or reverse engineered, which is exactly what goes into making a crack. Cracks are illegal.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
JzzTrump22 said:

Stuffit is misbehaving for a lot of users right now because the Allume website support area is messed up someway or undergoing revision--it doesn't work--check to see if "Check for updates" is marked in the general preferences. When the Allume site is down this seems to make the program go out to lunch when it cannot check for an update.

This may not be your particular problem, but it's worth a try.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
OutThere761 said:
I think most companies put in their license agreements that the code of the game is not to be reworked, changed, or reverse engineered, which is exactly what goes into making a crack. Cracks are illegal.

as long as they print the licencse agrements (those ridicolous EULAs) on the outside of the box you stand correct even here ...

but untill now i haven't met a software company wo wraps their products in those agreements ;)

fBaran

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2003
I thought I was going crazy, but I guess I'm not alone either; she just keeps bouncing (StuffIt, not my gf! :)

fBaran

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2003
I would, but StuffIt doesn't launch and neither does DropStuff. Boh just keep bouncing.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
wait until the App LAUNCHES!!!!!

fBaran said:
I would, but StuffIt doesn't launch and neither does DropStuff. Boh just keep bouncing.

Are you force quitting before the application stops bouncing in the dock? It takes about 2-3 minutes to launch. What you will see when it stops bouncing, is the icon in the dock without the small black triangle adjacent to it - just the icon there. After about another 30 - 45 seconds the triangle will appear and the app will open as normal. Then go into the preferences and change them as I said above. Do this for all the other stuffit apps as well (give them time to launch also - they take just as long as stuffit expander) and then they should then launch immediately.

The key issue here is to GIVE THE APPS TIME TO OPEN - it can take a few minutes. It took about 2 - 3 minutes to open on my PowerBook so it may take a bit longer on slower computers...

aussie_geek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.