Stuffit problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bananaquit, Apr 5, 2007.

1. bananaquit macrumors member

After downloading Stuffit, I can't seem to get Stuffit to unstuff itself. I move the file into applications but it doesn't want to do anything other than tell me to move it to applications. I am new to Mac (as if you can't tell), and can't find what I assume is the simple solution here. Thanks

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Run the app that you just moved to the Applications folder.
    It will install the leftovers that it needs.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did you move the DMG file to the Applications folder instead?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Apple has slipstreamed a new magic installation procedure with virtually no fanfare. It's really simple if you are aware of it, but may be confusing if you are not. Stuffit Expander 11 uses this new installation procedure:

Mount the disk image as a virtual drive as usual.

Then, simply drag the folder named Stuffit 11 to the Applications folder alias ("shortcut" in Windows parlance) at its immediate right. This will install the folder in your real Applications folder.

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I also recommend The Unarchiver instead. If you don't have any .sitx files to uncompress, you don't need StuffIt....and, if you ask me, don't install StuffIt at all. It reminds me of RealPlayer back in the day....ugh.

6. bananaquit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone; I appreciate all the replies. Got it to work. The problem was that it was too easy. I know that Stuffit is not a favorite for many, but I am checking out Refworks Write-N-Cite feature and it's .sitx file.