Stuffit question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drew0020, Jan 22, 2009.

1. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I am trying to update my Blu Ray player firmware (Sony S350). I downloaded the 56MB .exe file directly from the Sony website. I used stuffit to extract the file so I can burn a copy. When I use Stuffit the extracted file now only shows 15.7MB instead of the 56MB original file size.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Andy

2. pooky macrumors 6502

It sounds like you didn't extract it, you compressed it. A .exe file is a windows executable, not a stuffit archive. If your mac sent it to stuffit, it was wrong. You need to run the file under windows to get it to work.

3. GregE macrumors 6502

I was curious so I went to the Sony website and found the firmware. The preferred method to update your player is to use the Network Update Instructions. Can you connect your player to the internet and download it right from Sony? There are instructions that tell you how to do it.

If you need to do the download, they have differnent versions depending on your operating system. It looks like the exe is a self extracting file which will have an iso file that you will need to burn to a CD. There was not a version to download for Mac so you will need access to a Windows PC. Do you have a friend that can download it for you and then put the iso on a CD for you or do you have access to a Windows PC?

4. drew0020 thread starter macrumors 68000

drew0020

I don't have a friend with windows. I was hoping there was a mac alternative for this. I'll probably have to unhook the player and then move my tv to the room with the wireless router to update the player.

5. GregE macrumors 6502